New User

Task

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 18, 2013
West Grove, PA
Hi everyone. I've been checking out this forum for about a week now as I'm in the process of getting a pool. Decided to register today and this is my very first post on this forum.
I lived in Philadelphia, PA for thirty-two years and thankfully moved 45 miles southwest of the city to the suburbs for some country living just over two years ago. As a city employee, I was required to live in Philadelphia until my union was able to have the residency clause lifted in our last contract award. I'm still adjusting to the country life.
My wife and I have been talking about getting a pool for several months now and recently had a couple contractors price the job for us. Surprisingly, the cost was actually LESS then I had anticipated, so after getting some funding together, we shelled out a down payment and we're currently waiting for our permits to be approved by our township. Hopefully we will have our project completed within the next two months or so.
I've never had a pool before, nor have I ever had to take care of a pool so I've got a lot to learn. Hopefully it isn't as difficult as it seems to me right now or I'll be in trouble once I get it open next spring.
I'm looking forward to gaining some knowledge from this board take a big leap into pool ownership.

Thanks wood. I certainly hope so. There is an overwhelming amount of information on this forum that I'm trying to take in. Thankfully ill have all winter to read up once the project is completed as I won't be able to open the pool until the spring time. Gives me lots of study time

Task said:
Thanks wood. I certainly hope so. There is an overwhelming amount of information on this forum that I'm trying to take in. Thankfully ill have all winter to read up once the project is completed as I won't be able to open the pool until the spring time. Gives me lots of study time

Your study time will pay off in big dividends in the years to come. Welcome to TFP!

Welcome to TFP!

Soak up as much info from pool school as you can. Read through it as many times as you can.

Some of it will seem confusing at first, but it will come together once you start playing around with your test kit Get one early, and test your tap water a few times, to get used to it. You won't need to test for CYA on your tap water, there won't be any in it, but all other tests will show results. I'd recommend the TF-100, with the XL option, along with the SpeedStir. This will help what you learn from pool school come together.

Welcome to TFP !!
I was a new pool owner not long ago and the info on this site has made pool water maintenance very very simple.

Spend time reading in pool school and after awhile it will all come together. Don't forget the test kit. It's a small investment for a trouble free pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support