My pool refurb & paint is complete!

Thanks! I had never painted a pool before either...only filter/pump plumbing, etc. But when you have three small kids wanting to swim and you don't have the big bucks to pay someone, you do what ya gotta do.

I had a ton of help from user "ONTUY" on this site who had done essentially the same thing and blazed the trail before me. Seeing photos of someone else doing it and describing the process made it seem less daunting and gave me the courage to go for it. I am glad I did, it wasn't that hard at all...just time consuming. About a month's worth of weekends from start to finish.

Very impressive!

You are a hard worker and a good daddy to have done all that for your little ones. Kudos to ONTUY for talking you through it. Your pool is very pretty and those kids (and you) sure do look happy.

Backglass... the pool came out awesome you can be prowed of that DIY project. The acid bath was amazing. also the chronicling of the hole process was great and will be help to others. Looks like you will be the go to guy in the future for painting a pool.

Great Job
Ric W. :-D

wow, that looks great!!!! I bet the kids are thrilled.

We are in middle of a renovation (not DIY) :) we had to hire someone, if I had hubby do it it would take the whole year :) hee hee
they just put in our new skimmer and main drain and are doing some concrete and coping work today.
monday-tuesday is sandblasting day and then we move on to plaster.

congrats on your great project!!!

Chris

Backglass,

You did an amazing job. Your pool came out looking really super. :super:

Do these YouTube videos accurately reflect what you experienced and did during your project?

[youtube:37jjsr0s]sxJI2ZZQ6B0[/youtube:37jjsr0s]

[youtube:37jjsr0s]rK2ftJmcPhs[/youtube:37jjsr0s]

[youtube:37jjsr0s]xPX_-WFrRj0[/youtube:37jjsr0s]

Titanium

Titanium said:
Backglass,

You did an amazing job. Your pool came out looking really super. :super:

Do these YouTube videos from poolandspa.com accurately reflect what you experienced and did during your project?

Thanks for the kudos!

As for the videos. the process was basically the same. They did somethings I didn't do and vice versa. For example, I didn't scrub the acid wash like they did. I just sprayed it on, let it set for a few minutes and hosed it off. As you can see from the pictures there was no scrubbing necessary. I also did a primer coat before painting which I don't think they did.

But all in all it was the same basic procedure. Clean, acid wash, clean again, repair, prime/paint, fill!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dd50 said:
Wow, that is a lot of work. Looks great and bet the kids love it.

Ya know, it looks like a lot of work, and it did take a month...but in retrospect it really wasn't that hard! It would have gone a LOT faster if the weather had cooperated. If I had taken a couple days off work, it all could have been done over 4-5 days.

If anyone has second thoughts about doing this, know that I am just your typical homeowner. I am not a contractor or contruction worker...I'm a computer geek by trade. :p If I can do it, YOU can do it!

Backglass said:
Well, after reading, planning asking a ton of questions here and more reading, we tackled our 25 year old crumbling pool and gave it a face lift.

The pictures are REALLY huge on this site for some reason, so instead of posting them I will just point you to The web-page I created chronicling the entire process.

I hope it helps someone in the future!

Just saw this post from a couple years ago. Hows the paint holding up? Hope you see this! BTW, thanks for the detailed description and photos.

Kevin

Well, we are all interested, aren't we!

Since Backglass hasn't been on for a while and he may or may not have a toggle to this thread, I'll send him a PM in hopes that he get an email notification :mrgreen:

Inquiring minds want to know :-D

kevreh said:
Just saw this post from a couple years ago. Hows the paint holding up? Hope you see this! BTW, thanks for the detailed description and photos.

Hey all! I'm still around...I usually don't check the forum until the pools open though!

As for the paint job, it's holding up very well. No more leaks, color still looks good, etc. That epoxy paint really is like a "hard candy shell" and I am confident that if in a couple of years it starts looks faded I can just give it a light top coat of blue and have it looking like new again.

The only thing I forgot (and didn't realize until a year later!) was I forgot to put sand/no-slip in the paint on the stair tops. And they are SUPER slick. I still have a leftover gallon of paint and have been toying with just re-painting the stair tops and adding some texture material to fix this when it warms up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.