Prep work for the olympics....

Sep 14, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I bought a new pool, woops I mean I bought a home with a pool. The pool had a cover and has about 2 ft of grungy water. I think the pool has been like this for awhile. The house was built in 1989 not too sure about the pool. There is small cubby with some tubing for the filter , pump etc and a power wire near it. I am looking at a salt water set up.

Where should I start?????? I have been googleing equip online and plan on a few store visits, I have scheduled several estimates from vendors for cleaning the pool.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks.

Pool virgin....

Welcome to TFP.

Start by reading Pool School and learning how to clean up what you have and get it balanced. If you have problems with the equipment you can post back and we're glad to help you figure it out.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well you can do that ... Just get in there with a pressure washer and use a submersible pump to drain the water/gunk.
I guess at this point is seems that ground water may not be an issue for you if the pool has been almost empty for some time.

Do you have any equipment at this point or are you looking for all new equipment?
How sure of that 78k volume are you? That is about 3 times the size of a typical larger residential pool.

30x60 rectangle, 8.5 - 3 ft, yes it's a whopper, hence the Olympic/I bought a pool comments. I guess if estimates are too high, I can rent a pump to empty pool, and then power wash...so this does seem like a good first step while I shop for equip online?? I need everything pump, filter, chlorinator, fittings pipes etc etc

Yikes, that is a big one. While the principles are the same, this is pretty for outside the size that we typically deal with, so I for one and not even sure what type of equipment to recommend.

You are going to have to be looking at commercial filters and you will need at least 1 huge filter and I am not sure what size pump to look at ... and whether the 2-speed or VS still make sense (I would guess they would).

As far as a source for chlorine, either you will need a huge tank for liquid chlorine with a pump for dosing, or likely the best option is 1 or a few large SWGs.

I am curious to see what others would recommend ... might get good info from some of the members in the industry dealing with commercial pools.

As jbliz said, a pool that big will require some fairly significant equipment. And I too, have not done a system that big.

Here is some food for thought...

For a pool that size, 14.5 sq. ft. of sand filter area would be suggested (216 sq.ft. DE filter area would also work, or 1154 sq. ft. cartridge filter area, though I am not sure I would want DE or cartrige filters on a pool this size). If you do that with residential equipment (to keep costs down), then you will need two 7 sq. ft. sand filters (the largest residential sand filters commonly available) plumbed in parallel. Something like the pentair TR140 would be a good choice. I would probably plumb them so that I can backwash one at a time, therefore reducing the pump size needed for the system. If you individually backwash them, then to do it at 15 gpm/sq.ft., you would need about 106 gpm during backwashing. A pentair intelliflo vs should be able to handle this. A Whisperflo WFDS-6 might be able to handle as well. However, this depends on your plumbing.

Do you know what size and how many runs it has?

Are there any high volume water features such as deck jets, waterfalls, hot tub jets, etc?

By run, I mean seperate piping from pool to equipment area. So, do each of your skimmers have a seperate pipe to the equipment area and what diameter pipe? Are they valved so that you can select how much flow from each one? How many "returns" (water going from the equipment area to pool) do you have? Are the runs separate and what diameter pipe?

Do you have a water feature in mind?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thinking of taking the Salt route, due to size. This is all of the current pipeage that I have to work with, there is a pvc pipe with the 3 electrical wires with nuts on the end

Attachments

• Evo 7039.jpg
    Evo 7039.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 119
  • Evo 7030.jpg
    Evo 7030.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Evo 7028.jpg
    Evo 7028.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 119
I like my swg, however your pool is going to take a hefty one (I am not aware of any residential ones that will work for your volume). You might have to double up on the swg too.

What diameter pipe is that?

No problem on the questions, that is what we are here for!

1.5" sch40 pvc has an outside diameter of ~1.9"

2" sch40 pvc has an outside diameter of ~2.4"

2.5" sch40 pvc has an outside diameter of ~2.9"

Where is the equipment pad in relation to the pool? Once you open the cover and show us where the returns and skimmers are, we will have enough info on the run length.

Going to the house tonight, I will measure and post, I appreciate the help. I am thinking I basically might be needing 2 of everything ie...

Filter 2 x Pentair 140316 trition II commercial sand filter tr-140c

Pump 2 x Pentair wfds-6 whisperflo

SWG 2 x Hayward Goldline aqua-rite 40K

Please let me know if I am off my rocker or if I will have to take on a second job....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.