First set of numbers for my pool...

Jun 14, 2008
Dallas, TX
Hi,
My TF-100 kit arrived, and I have taken my first set of readings. These are the numbers:
FC 1.0
CC 0.5
TC 1.5
pH 7.8 (hard to tell this one really accurate using the kit)
T/A 130
CH 90
CYA <20 (i could still barely see the dot when the tube was almost full)

What should be my first steps here? We have a Rainbow chlorine feeder in our setup...I can use that if appropriate -- and once I figure out how:) I've read the Chlorine in tablet forms can do some crazy stuff to your numbers...but perhaps with the numbers I have, it would be beneficial.

Thanks
Steven

1. Bring your Chlorine up to around 2-4ppm and keep it there
2. Buy some CYA and bring it up to around 40-50ppm.
3. Do 1 and 2 simultaneously......keep an eye on your pH....it's OK for now but don't let it go any higher. (it'll get easier to do that test thru repetition.

How does your water look?

You'll be much happier if you leave the pucks alone. :lol:

The rainbow chlorine feeder uses tri-chlor tabs which will lower your ph and raise your CYA. But the tri-chlor is expensive and probably not worth the expense of the minimal adjustment you need. Long term use of the tri chlor tabs will eventually cause you unwanted trouble. You would be better off just using bleach to raise your chlorine, and then buy stabilizer/CYA seperately.

Good question. Is your water clear?

stevenspool said:
pH 7.8 (hard to tell this one really accurate using the kit)

While repetition does help get to know the test, having a verbal to go along with the visual can help, too. Here's Waterbear's interpretation of the pH color scale:

6.8 and below yellow
7.0 yellow with a bit of orange
7.2-7.3 orange
7.4-7.5 red-orange
7.6-7.7 red
7.8-8.0 "pinkish" or "cool" red but not quite purple
8.2 and above purple

So, if my test is not redish or redish orange, I'm looking at some adjusting. HTH

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm going to skip the Tabs and the autofeeder.

The water is pretty clear...maybe not quite sparkling..but it looks pretty good to me.

When you say bring the Chlorine to 2-4ppm...whic of the Chlorine measurements is that...FC or TC?

To increase the CYA do I just buy any bottle marked Stabilizer?
I get these results in the Pool Calculator to increase from 20 to 40...70oz by volume.
It also says it takes a week to fully dissolve.
I'm thinking I should start with 35oz..and measure again in a week. Any obvious flaws in that plan?

Thanks again
Steven

When you say bring the Chlorine to 2-4ppm...whic of the Chlorine measurements is that...FC or TC? Your CC should be .5 or less by now so TC is fine

To increase the CYA do I just buy any bottle marked Stabilizer?
Yep, it'll say Cyanuric Acid on the side

I get these results in the Pool Calculator to increase from 20 to 40...70oz by volume.
It also says it takes a week to fully dissolve.
I'm thinking I should start with 35oz..and measure again in a week. Any obvious flaws in that plan?
I think you're on the right path :lol:

Sorry duraleigh.... Your test kit is not complete. You need to add the following warning.

WARNING.... Do not use this test kit infront of a klutzy, pool owning neighbor.

I'm the one that just ordered new CYA reagent from you for my new kit.

I just can't believe someone would test their pool's CYA so many times; get the same reading; and then retest. :grrrr:

I also can't believe I loaned him the kit. :hammer:

Hotrod30 said:
Sorry duraleigh.... Your test kit is not complete. You need to add the following warning.

WARNING.... Do not use this test kit infront of a klutzy, pool owning neighbor.

I'm the one that just ordered new CYA reagent from you for my new kit.

I just can't believe someone would test their pool's CYA so many times; get the same reading; and then retest. :grrrr:

I also can't believe I loaned him the kit. :hammer:

AINT NOBODY TOUCHIN' MY KIT!!! :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.