What Options do I have for AGP stair unit?

Apr 12, 2013
New England, USA
Hello - we're pool newbies and have a closing question about our stairs. We have an oversized safety stair unit that was filled with rock and water upon installation in May. It was a bear to get it up and over the rail with just the rock weight in it. Now we are faced with the issue of closing the pool and what to do with this stair unit that weighs even more since it filled the rest of the way with water.
1. Do we have to remove it? Could it be moved to the center of the pool to tie our pillow to it and leave it there under the cover?

2. If removal is the best choice, any creative ideas for how to lift it, out of the water, not have it bend the cap rails and get it down to the ground? Seems like it would take 4 strong people, 2 of whom are willing to get into the >60degree water! Yikes, that would take a lot of pizza and beer to pay off : )

We've really appreciated the knowledge that you have all been able to give us this year. Our water is was crystal clear all summer : )
Thanks - Jaimi

yep..it's gotta come out or Ice will build up in it and on it..and break them up pretty easily. You are gonna have to get a couple in the pool and a couple outside the pool to remove them. It's the best advice I can give you. We just removed ours. It takes one in the pool and one on the deck.

The rocks are small gravel that we had to fill into the side panels of the unit, so removing them won't be practical. However, disassembling the side panels from the stair treads/risers might be an option. I was really hoping someone here would tell me we could leave it in the pool! This stair unit could easily become the single frustration we have with pool ownership if every spring and fall we are trying to deal with this issue. Oh well... "its never easy" (or so my father-in-law says)!
J : )

Most steps have a way of removing the weight so they can be moved in a reasonable way. Otherwise, you have the problem your having. Are you sure your "weights" can't be removed? Could you post a link to a pic showing your step type?

I can't find my exact model online (bought at Namco, but they must be sold out). This website http://www.conferplastics.com/ladders_entry_steps.php has several models that are really really close so I attached a pic from their site. But apparently this mfg designed theirs so you just fill the panels with water, no sand or gravel as we were instructed in our instructions. So, this website gives winter removal suggestions that talk about removing the plug from the bottom of the unit and draining the water out (although that still seems awfully heavy to lift up for draining)... in our case, the plug is up near the top of each side, and like I said, we have gravel in ours :(

Alas, once again the pool store has done me a disservice. I love this stair unit, but what a PITA we're in for each spring/fall!

Attachments

• abovegroundcase.jpg
    abovegroundcase.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 46
Maybe when you get the gravel out this year, you can find a way to add the weight via bags or poured concrete weights. I have heard of some making stair weights by capping a length of PVC pipe and filling it with concrete to make weights to place inside stair units. The diameter of the pipe is determined by the size of the access holes in the sairs and how they are constructed. My ladder has a "box" as the bottom step filled with bricks.

I just saw your post, can you add a slab of concrete on the interior of the ladder?

Good ideas and definitely something we will have to noodle on over the winter.

But before I completely throw in the towel and haul the thing out, does anyone use a bubbler type of device in their pool to prevent freezing? Probably to expensive and could still have issues with the stair unit getting damaged, but since we are in our first year I'm willing to invest in something that could save us 10yrs of hauling it in and out : )

As always, we really appreciate the input from everyone!

that's almost Identical to our ladder..and I know some people put rocks in them, sand, etc....The stairs have holes in various locations, and we have NEVER had to put anything in ours..we drop it into the pool, let the stairs fill up with water, then we screw it down via those "deck arms" and it stays in position all season long...When we take it out in the fall, we undue the (stainless steel screws) I start lifting on the hand rails, and it slowly drains of water, as I lift it out. Works great for us.

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.