Product to patch plaster

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I've just drained the pool and am about to star the next process of cleaning, acid etching and repairing the surface before replaster. What do you use to patch any areas of plaster that get removed? In the concrete industry we patch concrete surfaces with either a high build mortar or a product called FC, or Fairing Coat which is a very fine mortar designed for final finish surfaces. Would these work? I would have thought in a pool, you would want something with an adhesive additive? Like acrylic render? Or cement based tile adhesive? Or is it as simple as a sand/cement blend?

The surface seems pretty good but I honestly haven't been over it in detail yet. I've found a couple of places that are a bit drummy, but I know there will be more and there will be places like around the jets and new tiles where I will need repairs.

Thanks!

No-one? Well, I need to answer my own question then! I tried several products, and the one I used the most of is simply a fine, acrylic modified render. It is readily available (Bunnings here in Aus) and easy to mix and apply. It sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, is easy to finish and not overly expensive. I used a primer in some areas but via destructive testing found it didn't make the bond noticeably better than unprimed areas. Just make sure the surface is mechanically abraded to be quite rough and free from dust and loose particles. A bit of moisture is fine, as long as it's not wet. If you are plastering over the top (ie Sider Crete), use an oxide particle disc to roughen the surface, but only sand with very light pressure as it will be abraded quite easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.