New Pool CYA at 90... Do I drain or wait?

Sep 12, 2013
Orange, TX
Pool is over a month old and I have adopted the BBB method and turned off the chlorinator.

Test results from today with Taylor k-2006 kit

FC 3.2
CC .2
TA 90
ph 7.6
Hardness 280
CA- 90
Borates 34

I added bleach to raise the FC to 7 this evening. With this late in the season should I drain to get CYA down or just keep the FC at proper levels and see if CYA comes down with use and rain?

I would say if you water is clear, wait to drain and just make sure you FC never ever drops below 7 ppm and you should be fine. That will require you to shoot for a higher FC when you dose. I would try shooting for 9-10 ppm FC.

How long till you close or if at all ? You could drain some to get it down if your going to be using it alot. It's your call.

Your FC level at 7 ppm is at the min for a CYA of 90. Your FC should be at least 10 ppm so you don't fall below your min of 7 ppm.

kdiamond said:
turned off the chlorinator.
If there are tabs in the chlorinator, I would recommend allowing them to be used up or remove them. Turning off the chlorinator only isolates the tabs in the feeder with water. They continue to dissolve, creating a very concentrated chlorine solution that can damage the chlorinator and can be dangerous when the chlorinator is opened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.