Pool store put in Bleach after I already did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Oh my!! Pool store closing pool today. I raised FC 14 and drained water last night. I gave pool store instructions NOT to add chemicals.......they did!!! 4 jugs of 12.5% sodium hypo

What is all that bleach going to do to the liner over winter?

Re: Pool store put in Bleach after I already did!!!!!!!!!!!!

They left to get a different cover, the one they brought was the wrong size (go figure) While they were gone I went out and tried to "stir" the water with the vacuum pole. I did test the water and I got up to 70 with the drops and I stopped adding them....still wasn't clear. I called the store and they said they were having the guys put in chlorine neutralizer.....whether or not that will work I don't know

14 ppm plus 42 ppm is a lot of FC! Chlorine neutralizer is usually sodium thiosulfate and will take about 2.6 ounces by weight to drop 10000 gallons 1 ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Sounds like I would have a serious conversation with the owner of that business. I would follow-up any conversation with an email to document your concerns, your perception of your conversation, and any agreements. You seem to be having less than stellar communications and irresponsible behavior.

I guess it would depend on what you have in the water today? Can you sneak under the cover and test your water?

Last I heard you had a 70FC+ and a bucket of "who-knows-what" in the pool and still water. I would test...that's what we make our decisions based on...test results.

The pool store MAY have added too much chlorine reducer or they may have done it correctly... who knows? You will know after testing but I would want to circulate the water before testing. Do you have a pump that you can use?

If you can't mix the pool, mix your test water. Take samples from different locations, and depths, mix the water, and then do your testing.

I mixed it with the pole in just one spot.....test said FC 21.5 I think that's where they put in the stuff though. Theres no other spot I can get under the cover.....
will the water mix a bit by wind blowing the cover? thank you sooooo much for all of your help!!!

I would strongly suggest pulling off the cover and giving the pool an entire brushing for several minutes to mix up all the water......then retest the FC level. Make 100% sure that the levels are down way lower. It would be a shame to damage the pool due to this error. If covered FC level will drop VERY slowly over the winter......and likely you'll end up with a very light or white liner upon opening next season.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gu ... chart.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.