New Pump, Big Bubble . . . Help?

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
I got the new pump (Hayward Matrix 1 hp, 2 sp) and filter (Hayward S220T sand fiter) all connected. All hoses on as far as they can go and all hose clamps are tight. I have one small seeping kind of leak where the hose going to the filter connects to the top of the pump. I am working on that one tho not quite sure how to stop it as everything is as tight as it can go.

First, the manual says the pump is self priming. YAY! But, I have read on here that small bubble = good, BIG bubble = bad. Well, the lid over the pump basket is domed. How in the world do I achieve a "small" bubble? Currently the pump is not bolted down. So, I have carefully tipped it back to work the air into the hose and burped it thru the skimmer before turning it on. Shouldn't do this, I know. And cannot anyway once it is bolted down.

My other (and main concern) is, the bubble grows. I started with a small bubble, a bit larger than a silver dollar. After 5 hours on HI, the bubble was almost as big as the clear dome on top of the pump lid. I switched to LOW and ran it for 3 hours and the bubble did NOT get any larger.

Oh, I did lube the O-ring on the inside of the lid. Could it need more lube?

Could the small leak from the pump to the filter be causing this? If so, how? The leak is after the strainer basket, at the point of exit from the pump. If not from this leak, any ideas? I haven't waited to see if the bubble gets any larger on HI. I'm afraid it'll cause problems if it gets larger. Am I being paranoid?? Is the pump designed to have a bubble the size of the clear dome? Is it self balancing the air? I mean, realistically, I cannot bleed air out of the domed lid once the pump is bolted down, so is that large a bubble part of the design?

Signed,
Flummoxed

When the volume of water being drawn into the pump is larger than what is being pushed out, the dome will fill with water. Without any long plumbing run to restrict your flow into the pool, that may be normal for your pool with the pump on low. It will probably fill when you switch to high speed. What does your pressure gauge read?

If it was caused by a leak, it would be a leak between the skimmer and the pump.

That is a big bubble for being on high. Did you seal the drain plug with teflon tape? As JohnT mentioned, on low it is not uncommon to have a small bubble.

The pressure side leak will not affect the bubble. Is that a barbed fitting under you pipe and clamp? Is the leak at the joint of the fitting to the pump, or at the fitting to the pipe joint?

Linen, I'll need to double check to see if that one is barbed. Thanks for the idea.
And no, I did not put teflon tape on the drain. But I will!

The small bubble is currently because I just "burped" the pump. If I run high the bubble gets large, and it stays large when switched to low. It just doesn't seem to grow on low.

When I hooked everything up, I could not find anything about how full to fill the filter with water. I did not fill all the way to the brim, thinking it would finish filling after I turned on the pump and that it would push the air on thru to the pool. I had no problem with my old 3/4 hp sandpro pump and air. Could this be the problem with the stronger pump? Is there air still in the filter? And causing a pressure problem like JohnT mentioned? Inbound suction to the pump stronger than the outbound pressure to the filter? (did I get this right?) so the dome bubble gets larger??? I feel like I'm working an algebra problem and part of the equation is missing.

JohnT, the gauge is a liquid filled one I got at Harbor Freight (love that store!) on low it reads "0", on high, it reads "17ish".

Thanks guys, for your help in figuring this out. I'm going out to tape up the drain plug and check for barbs . Be back in a bit.

Very well could be the higher vacuum that this pump can apply to those corrugated hoses. The corrugated hoses are notorious for having leaks (in the case of the suctions side letting air into your pump) and also leaking at fittings.

Sealing is best done between a hard surface and a soft surface. That's why the best seals are between metal and rubber (o-rings, rubber bushings, etc). Your systems tries to create a seal between 2 parts that are relatively hard, the pump fitting and the plastic hose, so the sealing can be finicky to get right. Just like you see a small leak at your pressure side connection, it's likely there is a similar inbound air leak on the suction side. That would explain the large air bubble your seeing.

The hose clamps can get slightly distorted so that they don't apply equal force all the way around the hose. Also if the hose clamp is one meant for a larger size application it can cause uneven clamping. You want a hose clamp that has the least extra "tail' after clamping up. Purchasing a couple of new $0.69 hose clamps is a cheap way of maximizing your chances of success. Also make sure the fitting that the hose is attaching to is smooth and doesn't have any excess molded-in parting line steps that will prevent good sealing. Good luck!

gtemkin, Thanks, I'll try new hose clamps for now. I see hard plumbing in my very near future.

Linen, the pressure side fitting is not barbed but I did manage to tighten things down so the leak is at least less than it was. I also did put teflon tape on the pump drain plug. Dang that thing is little and difficult to wrap if you have any fingernails to get in the way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.