Is this right?

Aug 28, 2013
League City, TX
My pool is exposed to the sun from around noon til sundown. I am trying to keep my FC at 8. My CYA is 70. I am having to add @ 40 oz of 8.5% bleach. Is this right?

My last readings were:

FC 4.5
CC 0
CYA 70
TA 100
pH 7.8
CH 300

Per the pool calculator, I need to add 87 oz of bleach. I can and will do that but seems excessive. That being said, my pool looks AMAZING after switching to the BBB method.

A typical pool at 70 ppm will lose about ~25% FC due to the sun. 5 ppm is the lowest you want to allow your FC to go to, so if you target 6 ppm as a minimum, that would mean your pool should use about 2 ppm/day with a target level to dose to of 8 ppm. If you are dropping from 8 ppm to 4.5 ppm daily without a lot of swimmers, then I would guess you have something in the water using up your chlorine. When in doubt, do a OCLT: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test I would bring your FC level up to at least 8 ppm before taking your evening reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.