pump not working

UPDATE!! i thought pump was broken. it's NOT... it blew a circuit breaker, so when i found this out, i reset breaker and pump came back on. i noticed that since i changed the shaft seal, the shaft is not spinning. when turned on it humms for a few minutes then blows circuit. it never blew the circuit when it was working. how can i get the shaft to moving again?

Sounds like something was not put back together properly and now the shaft will not spin.
Try to spin the shaft as the pump is installed.
If it will not, pull the pump apart again and see if you can spin the shaft and impeller by hand.

okay while it was apart it turned, started pretty easily with a slight hesitation, then once i put it thru the seal plate and attached the impeller it did not turn, i had to turn it by hand while pump was on then it started turning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are two parts that switch the start circuit in and out. The "V" shaped device on the end of the shaft. It's a set of contacts that should be closed when the pump isn't running and then there is the centrifugal mechanism just under it that opens it when the pump is running. Make sure that the contacts are made when it's stopped and make sure that the mechanism isn't holding them open because it's stuck.

thanks Bama, i see the "v" shaped device it closes when the pump is turned off, but doesn't initally opens when turned on unless i give it a twist. Is there something that would keep it from opening right away when turned on. sometimes the motor comes right on, while most times i have to give it a twist..

The way it works is that once the motor gets up to speed, the centrifugal opens the switch ("V") contacts. If you're sure they're closed and making good contact it should start. You can try filing the contacts with an emory board and making sure it's making good contact. Also check the wires to make sure one is not loose or broken coming from the cap.

Thanks for the all the help. My husband fixed the wire. But it was still hesitating to.start. so went to the pool store. Explained that the motor starts right up without the impeller. Once i put it on it does not move unless i twist it. They said that the motor was probably shot. Since i was only 3 weeks out of warranty they gave me a new motor....yaaa saved my water, it was turning green....went right to work to clear it up.

I'm just adding the following as a reminder to provide info even if you don't think it's important.

juicierthnfruit said:
Since i was only 3 weeks out of warranty...
That would have been good to know from the beginning. If I'd have known that, I'd have suggested giving them a call and see what they'd do. Then you'd have had a new one a week ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.