Advice needed to control erosion around concrete deck.

Apr 24, 2013
Parma / Michigan
I really need advice on controlling erosion around our concrete deck. Our pool was built on a small downgrade, which required over 200 yards of sand backfill.

What is the best method of controlling runoff? Should I use corrugated drain pipe and gravel around the perimeter? Can I just add top soil and plant grass, or will it continue to erode?

Also, I would really appreciate some advice regarding landscaping. What is the best method of landscaping a steep backfill area? We are considering large rocks, but we live in the country surrounded by water and may have a problem with snakes.

Thank you.

Dave

Attachments

• tfp_deck.jpg
    tfp_deck.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 224
DP_Michigan said:
I really need advice on controlling erosion around our concrete deck. Our pool was built on a small downgrade, which required over 200 yards of sand backfill.

What is the best method of controlling runoff? Should I use corrugated drain pipe and gravel around the perimeter? Can I just add top soil and plant grass, or will it continue to erode?

Also, I would really appreciate some advice regarding landscaping. What is the best method of landscaping a steep backfill area? We are considering large rocks, but we live in the country surrounded by water and may have a problem with snakes.

Thank you.

Dave

Dave,
For the short term, considering the approaching fall weather, is to install some straw wattles on the slope. See [http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/stormwat...tion=factsheet_results&view=specific&bmp=121] for a discussion on the best uses for them. If you go that route, you can get them from Home Depot or similar.

Once you have the wattles installed, then you will have time to establish your landscaping. If snakes are a problem, probably go with a low shrub or grass that will do well in your area. Your local nursery can help point you in the right direction.

Of course, depending on the type of snake, you may want a few around to help with the rodent population :D

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Nice pool. We have a very similar build starting this week (rectangle as well) with an 18" high side where our yard slopes off towards the woods.. Please post picks of the completed landscaping ! On a side note what liner did you chose. I like the water color. Much appreciated.

rather than a slope, can you make it "shelves". We have a large slope and we are putting a small 2 foot wall, then a planter area, another 3 foot wall, another planter area, and then one more section. There will be 3 planter areas stepping up to the patio.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.