Semi closed the pool

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
Well, we had frost this morning and the trees are dropping their leaves. Decided to take the solar cover off, clean the pool and cover it up with the winter cover. I'll keep the water level up and pump running until the water drops below 60 degrees, then finish closing. We have a heater, but I just can't get in the mood to swim even with warm water when the wind is blowing cold air and the sky is dark. So, we are done for this season. Want to thank this forum for teaching me how to take care of my pool. It couldn't be easier!!
original.jpg

Hi Linda a.k.a. neighbor! I shut my pool down on Friday. I even drained it down. I've got one heck of a cold n had Jim get in it to lift the steps out with my brother on Thursday. The end result was them hitting the ground and falling completely apart. I just stood there like :shock:

I spent Friday fevered while I swept the pool, drained the pump n water below the return n just was over it. I'll fix it up next year. I'm at 25 ppm cl with 45ppm CYA. It should be fine. Me? I hope I'll be ok too! lol Just hoping Jim doesn't get what I have!

Aww, Casey, so sorry about your steps! We took ours out last week when the weather was still somewhat warm. Didn't want to wait like I did last year and no one wanted to get in the very cold water to help. I'll drop the water and finish up closing when my water temp. drops more. I don't think it will take long with the cold nights we have been having. Hope you get over your cold.

I should be able to fix them next year. I didn't want to wait for the water to get too cold to go in for them, especially since I'm sick. If I didn't do it on Friday, I wasn't going to cover the pool at all and just deal with it next year. It's been cold at night. Upper 70's this week but it's not enough to keep the pool in the 80's with 40-50 degree nights. I am done! :mrgreen:

linda1 said:
Well, we had frost this morning and the trees are dropping their leaves. Decided to take the solar cover off, clean the pool and cover it up with the winter cover. I'll keep the water level up and pump running until the water drops below 60 degrees, then finish closing. We have a heater, but I just can't get in the mood to swim even with warm water when the wind is blowing cold air and the sky is dark. So, we are done for this season. Want to thank this forum for teaching me how to take care of my pool. It couldn't be easier!!
original.jpg

curiosity, How do you keep the water from accumulating on the cover? First winter with my pool and trying to figure out whats best.

Freedbaby, the black strip down the center is mess and the water will drain into the pool. This is the first year I've used this type. I usually have a solid cover and use a pump and hose to pump the water off as it accumulates. With this new cover I will just have to watch the water level of the pool. We drain down 6 inches below the return at closing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.