Is there a differance in bleach?

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
Is there a difference in bleach you buy at a "dollar store" than in the stuff you would buy at a Walmart or other like grocery store? The reason for me asking is we were at a "dollar store" the other day and needed bleach so we got some and added it to the pool. Now the pool seems cloudy could this be the reason?

Hard to say, but there was a gal on here using dollar store bleach to shock her pool and was having much trouble....the ingredients didn't specify a percentage so it's not clear what was IN the dollar store bleach. Once she switched to a more recognizable brand she was doing better, I assume she hasn't posted any problems....

I'd stick to Clorox, Wal-mart or a store brand you trust, I've used Aldi bleach, Target, Safeway, etc. and the pool store 12.5 % when it's on sale.

There could be other reasons for your cloudy water.

So we can help you better, a full set of test results would be good, as well as your method of testing (a kit, strips, the pool store?).

Hope this helps.

We use the TFP test kit to test our water with and everything has been going great until we used this other bleach thats why I was asking if there was a difference with it. It didnt even smell bleachy when I poured it in. I guess that's what I get for trying to be cheap and not burn the gas to drive to Walmart !

Here are our numbers from tonight just done ,

FC 6.5
CC 0 0
TC 6.5
CYA 40 ( has dropped from 60 last time I checked it)
TA 90
PH 7.8
TEMP 82

I think its the "dollar store" bleach we added that made our water cloudy. I think these numbers look good with the acception of the PH being slightly high. Should I shock the pool just in case we are having an algae bloom ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.