borates and high CYA

dkbrat

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2013
dallas,tx
I started using the BBB method one month ago. My first set of tests results with the K2006 kit were
FC2.6
cc.2
ph 7.6
ta 140
ch 190
cya 360

Based on recommendations from this site I did a partial drain. After refilling slammed and raised CH.

New results as of this morning
FC 9
cc.4
ph 7.6
TA 100
ch 300
cya 140
borates 40???

I enjoy this site and have done numerous searches about various subjects. I feel more comfortable each day compared to where I started, but know I am still learning. I was reading about borates and found that Proteam Supreme falls into that category. The pool builders store that I previously frequented always had me add this product each year. So I ordered the borate test strips from TFTEST to see if I had any left in the pool. I have to admit to having difficulties with determining the color difference between 50 and 80. I would describe the color as a pale tan. Not as dark as the 50 or 80 on the bottle. So my question is, how much borates I really have, and with the high CYA level, can my FC level be lower? I have been using polyquat 60 weekly, but I think I read that with Borates I don't need to use this. I am doing longer backwashes, and a possibility of rain this week will allow me to drop pool level some as well. I will do another partial drain once water restrictions ease to lower the CYA level. Also the water is crystal clear, with no signs of algae. The pool is in full sun from 10 am till 6 pm. My chlorine usage is about 2 quarts a day to maintain a fc 9

Bsed on what the forum tells me your CYA is still very high. FC of 9 is too low for that CYA, I think it needs to be more like 14-18.

Why are you using Polyquat? BBB teaches to control algae only with CL.

Why are you concerned about your borate level? It has never come up in any discussions I have had so far.

Sounds like still have some level of pool store love :|

With CYA at 140 you want the FC level to between 11 and 17, and never lower than 11 (unless you have a SWG). However, none of the CYA tests are at all precise at levels over 90, so you might want to err on the high side of that range.

I recommend replacing more water, until CYA is below 100 at the very least, and ideally around 60.

None of the borate tests are all that easy to read. Your level should be fine for the rest of the season. Measure it again in the spring and see where you are then.

Borates do act like a mild algaecide, but we still recommend maintaining the FC level the same as a pool without borates. It is possible that you might notice a slight decrease in chlorine consumption, but I never have.

Your borates level sounds like it might be below 50 and if that's the case then the algaecide effect will be significantly diminished. It's mild at 50 ppm and fairly strong at 80 ppm, but below 50 (say at 30 or below) it may not have a noticeable effect. It seems pretty wasteful to add more borates only to have the water diluted to get the CYA lower which will also lower the borates level. Why not just bite the bullet and do the partial drain/refill to get your CYA level lower? If you don't want to do that, then use a higher chlorine target level in which case you won't need the Polyquat 60. Or you can stay with your current high CYA and weekly Polyquat until you perhaps dilute the water with winter rains.

Thanks I was not intending to add more borates. I was just curious if that helped with the algae and then the FC level could stay below 10 to test for ph. I will stay on top of everything till my next drain. Thanks for the quick responses

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.