Need advices on balancing my water

This is the test result on 9/13/2013
FC: 5
Salt: 2500
CYA: 15
TA: 130
pH: 8.0

I added 10 oz of dry acid to lower my TA and pH. Added 16 lbs of salt too because i wanted it to be at 3000. Also added 3 qt 15 fl oz of instant pool water conditioner from leslie's to raise CYA. I tested it again today and here are the results:

FC: 5
Salt: 3300
CYA: 20
TA: 200
pH: 8.0

My added dry acid yesterday to lower my TA and pH but it went up even more...so I am confused :oops:. I guess I added to much salt so I just put some more fresh water in to offset it. I went ahead and added another 10 oz of dry acid today hoping it will go down tomorrow. Did I do something wrong? my water is looking fine and I hope it stay that way when I go outside tomorrow :lol: .

linen said:
How much water did you add? What is your fill water TA and ph?

I am not sure how much water I added. I just used garden hose and stood there for 10 minutes :mrgreen:. I will do those tests tomorrow and report back. I didn't know that you need to test the fill water first before messing with the pool water. I am very new at this so I went to Leslie's when I first filled up the water. I brought a sample of my garden hose water with me but they told me I have to shock the water first with Chlor Brite Granular Chlorine bag that they sell. I did that and added salt in and went back to them with the water to test it. They told me I shouldn't have shock the water since I am using the saltwater system and that is why my pH is high and too much chlorine. I told them it was them who told me to shock the water and walked out. Glad I found this site and found out about TF-100 kit so I can test it myself instead of relying on them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a SWG pool, its usually recommended that you bring your CYA level to around 70ppm and target a FC level of 5 and never let it fall below 3. I'm no expert on SWG's but I don't think it would make any difference whether you're running the pump and SWG at night or in the daytime as long as you can maintain those levels of FC. I believe however that it is also recommended that you split your pump run time into 2 equal sessions per day in order to help with skimming debris off the surface of the pool, so you may want to factor that in when making your decision.

I've seen several endorsements for the granular HTH brand at WalMart. Just make sure you get the one thats full strength. I think I saw it mentioned that they also carry one thats only about 50% CYA, but only slightly cheaper. Otherwise, as long its near 100% CYA and not some "magic blend" of various chemicals let price be your guide. As you've seen the liquid is rather expensive so stay with granular.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.