Best Way To Raise CYA

Apr 23, 2013
I use to have a high CYA & now because of Rain & strictly using Liquid Chlorine, My CYA is below 20.
Because of such a Low CYA reading, I'm going through Chlorine by the Gallons. I looked in Pool School for the answer, but did not find.
I apologize if this question has been answered 1000 times on here.

Use granular stabilizer. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return, run pump until its all dissolved. It will take up to a week to fully register on a test. I use the stabilizer you can get at Walmart. There is also liquid stabilizer but it is pricey.

Use the pool calc to figure out the amount you need to add.

You have several options for raising your CYA level:

1) Buy pure CYA (aka stabilizer or conditioner), put it into a sock or stocking and hang it over a return. This will take a day or two to get your CYA level up (it can still slowly rise a bit after that). If you were to put it into your skimmer and have it caught in the filter, then it could take up to a week to register. The sock method usually registers most of the CYA soon after it is no longer in the sock/stocking.

2) Buy Natural Chemistry® Instant Pool Water Conditioner which will immediately increase the CYA level. However, this is more expensive since 1 gallon for $37 at Leslie's would raise the CYA by 36 ppm while 10 pounds of GLB Stabilizer at poolgeek.com is $36.19 but raises the CYA by 120 ppm so the Instant Pool Water Conditioner is over 3 times as expensive.

3) Use Trichlor tabs as a source of chlorine. For every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases the CYA by 6 ppm. However, this will raise the CYA slowly. At 2 ppm FC per day, this is a CYA increase of 8.5 ppm per week. This option only makes sense if you already have leftover Trichlor tabs that you want to use up.

OK. Funny how just in April I was trying to get my CYA down from 90 & now I have to Raise it.
Thanks. I will research Prices & Product you both suggested. Don't have any Tabs but I do have a box of Walmart Pool Essentials Shock, would that raise it?

I can't quite read the label in their pic, but one of the reviews claims it is trichloro. So check pool calculator and see how much your CYA will rise along with the FC. From what some of the other reviewers wrote, it doesn't like to dissolve very quickly, so sock method would be appropriate for this, I think. As long as there is no mention of copper or other minerals in the ingredients list.

Best would be to go to Walmart and get a jug of CYA, that way you are only changing the CYA, and not raising your FC at the same time. Not saying that would be a bad thing, but controlling one thing at a time is best.

The MSDS indicates it is 53.5% Trichlor but it contains 25-30% "Trade Secret 031" and 4-6% "Trade Secret 001" that are unknown, but "Trade Secret 031" has the same ecological info as sodium sulfate and "Trade Secret 001" has the same ecological info as aluminum sulfate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find it unbelievable they actually put something in there & call it Trade Secret. heck, that could be ANYTHING!! I know there are people who have complained it died their Liners. Guess I'll wait & get something better like the Natural Conditioner mentioned. I put 2LBs of Cal-Hypo in just to keep Chlorine up. I know IT adds Calcium. I could use a little anyway. Thanks for the help.

dino1956 said:
OK. Funny how just in April I was trying to get my CYA down from 90 & now I have to Raise it.
Going from 90 to 20 with just rainwater that lands in the pool is unlikely, even if you additionally had some splashout. Have you been having to add a lot of makeup water...could you have a leak?

So, if I have a 15k gallons, FC ~2-3 and CYA 20 or less. Still have some Trichlor 94% tabs. Would like to get CYA to ~40. Could I just put 1 or 2 tablets in the tablet chute and allow to dissolve over next couple of days? I appreciate that it will take several days for the CYA to come up.

Or, maybe after reading the CYA chart again, I should well enough alone as with the CYA that low, my minimum FC level is also so low. And since I travel a fair amount, this leaves more of a window of comfort in case my wife slips a bit when I'm away,...

Thanks for any thoughts.

That's the thing, using tabs when you have a need is perfectly acceptable, as long as you know what it will do. Since you are using chlorine at a rapid rate, it appears to me you will solve two problems at once. Keep an eye on your pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.