PH doesn't go down?

Feb 24, 2013
I'm having the exact same issue! Gunite pool with luna quartz plaster and I'm constantly battling pH. My TA is at 90 too and I bring my pH down to 7.2 and within 3 or 4 days, my pH is at 8.2. Will raising my TA too 100 or 110 stabilize rising pH?

I do have 3 sheer descents and a spillover on the spa tat is about 6' across and an 18" drop from the spa to the pool level. It runs for about 6 hours a day. As I'm typing I'm kind of having a eureka moment. ;) That's probably why ,y pH is rising right? Should I lower my TA at all, or just deal with acid twice a week? I loathe pouring in acid...I totally dread it because I have to hold my breath and try not to burn myself. I would love for my pH to stop dropping!

Complete test today was:
FC 3.0
CC 0
TC 7.0
pH 8.2+
CH 430
CYA 50
TA 90

I poured in 4 cups of acid and I'm about to pour in a gallon of bleach. 17,000 gallon pool

Also, don't lower the pH to 7.2 since the rate of pH rise is faster the lower the pH. Just lower the pH to 7.5 only. Turn down the time you run these aeration sources. If you lower your TA significantly, if it helps, then you can consider using 50 ppm Borates for additional pH buffering.

Also, the test sounds like it is not from a TFTestkits TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. If you don't have one of those, get one. You are flying blind if you are using pool store numbers since they are often wrong.

That's interesting about the pH rising faster when it's lower! I never knew that and that will cut down on the acid I'm using by almost half! I'm going to try getting my TA to 80 to see if that makes a difference. I'd love to try borates but I have a dog that drinks the water so yeah...not a risk I'm willing to take. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.