Just Motor on pump unit Replace?

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
I just bought this Hayward pump. But with some bad luck and wotever I think I burned up the motor. Is it possible to replace / rebuild just the motor?

Problem is on Amazon these are pretty cheap. Less then $300 shipped...the complete unit.

Maybe buy a pump unit complete and find a new motor over time or some one to rebuild as a spare. .?.

THX

Did the pump not have a warranty? Motors should not burn up that quickly. And are you sure it isn't the capacitor that went bad? Those are much cheaper to replace.

Why I think it's burned up-

Stupidity
Ran for first time yesterday. It was for a pool water feature. For reasons not worth going into it was left on all night.

This morning I get up and the pool is missing 20K + gallons, the sw is on, the pump was not running and the CB popped. When off and reset.... pump will not respond and CB will not even pop now.

I had put a 2" PVC union at the pump for quick disconnect. Apparently, the union totally backed itself off and become disconnected. All the water was pumped into the air. BIG MESS.
:shocking:

Maybe it can be saved. There was still water at the main drain but it was well below the skimmer.

Does the motor hum when you turn it on or is there nothing?

If you don't hear a hum when the motor is on, then it could be the winding's have burnt out and you would need to replace the motor. However, if you hear a hum when the motor turns on, it could be just the start capacitor.

To check the capacitor, you need an ohm meter. Locate the capacitor in the motor end cap. Discharge the capacitor with a screw driver across the terminals and then remove the wires. Set the ohm meter for the lowest resistance range. Put the probes across the capacitor terminals. Initially it should read low and gradually climb to over range.

mas985 said:
Does the motor hum when you turn it on or is there nothing?

If you don't hear a hum when the motor is on, then it could be the winding's have burnt out and you would need to replace the motor. However, if you hear a hum when the motor turns on, it could be just the start capacitor.

To check the capacitor, you need an ohm meter. Locate the capacitor in the motor end cap. Discharge the capacitor with a screw driver across the terminals and then remove the wires. Set the ohm meter for the lowest resistance range. Put the probes across the capacitor terminals. Initially it should read low and gradually climb to over range.
Thanks
I will check when I get home. Looks like the exact replacement can be had for $161 delivered.
Even this Hayward motor and pump has Century on the motor case.

What water feature are you trying to drive with this pump?
Do you have a separate pump for your pool circulation?

The replacement motor for a 1.5 hp max rated (aka uprated) superpump is the a.o. smith UST1152.

1. running this feature-

2. Dedicated 1.5 HP pump. Dedicated 2" line.

3. Yes thanks I have found the exact replacement motor.

I learned more last night when I got home....There are 3 valves at the water feature controlling 1 of 3 ports each. Apparently, all 3 of these valves were closed in an effort to "turn off the feature" however the pump was left running! :thequeen: The was no other outlet for the pump. This is why the union came unscrewed...pretty impressive of the pump...and this is why I'm pretty sure the pump is toast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you checked to make sure power is reaching the motor (i.e. measure AC voltage across line terminals)?

Does the motor shaft spin freely by hand? The shaft is connected to the centrifugal switch with the springs.

mas985 said:
Have you checked to make sure power is reaching the motor (i.e. measure AC voltage across line terminals)?

Does the motor shaft spin freely by hand? The shaft is connected to the centrifugal switch with the springs.
I have not checked either of these yet. Working long days...getting home after dark.

I will check this though. Thanks.

....turned the pump sw off, recycled the CB and when I hit the pump on sw nothing happens at all...no hum, no run, no popped CB nothing...

Pulled the over off and I do not see any re-set button.

You already replaced the motor which has new bearings in it so that should not be the issue. Did you replace the shaft seal as well?

To be clear, the motor and the pump are two separate items bolted together and sold together. The bearings are only in the motor and the motor is new, correct?

The bearings in the new motor could be bad but it is unlikely. It could also be an impeller ring or the diffuser that is not installed correctly or is damaged.

And yes, you can buy a new seal and it is usually recommended when replacing the motor.

mas985 said:
To be clear, the motor and the pump are two separate items bolted together and sold together. The bearings are only in the motor and the motor is new, correct?

The bearings in the new motor could be bad but it is unlikely. It could also be an impeller ring or the diffuser that is not installed correctly or is damaged.

And yes, you can buy a new seal and it is usually recommended when replacing the motor.

Yes two separate...
I did all the work at a friends Elec. shop and was in such a hurry it just occurred the I screwed the impeller on the motor shaft.....no seperate bearings.... :thequeen: :thequeen:

Can u recommend a source for parts or a parts break down? The mechanics were so simple it seems I would have seen bad parts...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.