Life after SLAMing - what next?

onedah

Aug 23, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Hi All,

I finished SLAMing on Tuesday and now into maintenance mode. Pool water looks crystal clear but now I need to make sure I'm doing all the right things to avoid the pool creatures coming back.

Results from testing today:

FC 4.5
CC 0.5
TA 60
CH 190
CYA 50
PH 7.5

Question:
1. I believe I need to keep FC up to maintenance levels
2. are the other results accurate soon after SLAMing?
3. If its ok to test TA, CH etc, then I need to add Baking Soda and calcium chloride.

Thanks in advance.

onedah said:
Hi All,

I finished SLAMing on Tuesday and now into maintenance mode. Pool water looks crystal clear but now I need to make sure I'm doing all the right things to avoid the pool creatures coming back.

Results from testing today:

FC 4.5
CC 0.5
TA 60
CH 190
CYA 50
PH 7.5

Question:
1. I believe I need to keep FC up to maintenance levels
Yes, keep FC between 4 and 8 and never below 4.
2. are the other results accurate soon after SLAMing?
Yes
3. If its ok to test TA, CH etc, then I need to add Baking Soda and calcium chloride.
I suggest you go ahead and raise the TA to about 70 today.
Tomorrow, you can increase the CH. It is recommended to raise the CH on a day that you are not adjusting anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Linen Absolutley spot on.

Butterfly - thanks for the infor - I am adding Baking Soda today and will deal with CH tomorrow.

Questions:
1. I have noticed that I loose a lot of FC to the sun everyday - pool is in the sun most of the day - is it normal then to be adding quite a lot of FC to keep up (can get expensive)?
2. We are away next week for 7 days and wondering what suggestions you have for maintainance while away, especially as the texas sun can eat FC up quickly?

Thanks
O

onedah said:
Questions:
1. I have noticed that I loose a lot of FC to the sun everyday - pool is in the sun most of the day - is it normal then to be adding quite a lot of FC to keep up (can get expensive)?
2. We are away next week for 7 days and wondering what suggestions you have for maintainance while away, especially as the texas sun can eat FC up quickly?

Thanks
O

What do you mean by a "lot" of FC loss?

You may be able to use a puck floater. What is your CYA level? A week is a long time to expect a pool to remain pristine without attention.

duraleigh said:
onedah said:
Questions:

Thanks
O

What do you mean by a "lot" of FC loss? I'm adding about 50oz of bleach a day to keep fc levels, I loose about 3 - 4 ppm a day

You may be able to use a puck floater. What is your CYA level? CYA = 50, do I avoid using the Chlorinator?
A week is a long time to expect a pool to remain pristine without attention.

The chlorinator has the exact same downside as a puck floater: the pucks add CYA. I see from your other thread that you're already acquainted with the drain and refill process for lowering CYA if it gets too high.

You can see how much chlorine and CYA the pucks will add by using the "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom of the poolcalculator.com page. From there, you can decide if using the chlorinator is the route you want to go while you are away.

1. A "typical pool" at 50 ppm cya might lose about 40% FC to the sun each day.
2. Best way is to have someone come and dose for you daily or every other day. If you do not have that option, then if you have a cover, you could bring the pool up to your SLAM level, circulate it, then cover it, and cross your fingers until you are back. If you use a puck chlorinator, you may have to do a drain/refill again at some point.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I dont have a cover or the option of someone coming by every other day. I will have to take my chances with Pucks.

Has no one created Chlorine tablets which dont have other chemicals in them, or a chlorine release system without all the other affects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.