First Time

Sep 5, 2013
OK I just got my Taylor test kit and gave it a whirl....

FC: 15 ppm (way too high right?)
CC: 0
pH: 7.9
TA: 170 ppm
CYA: > 100 ppm (I think the pool guy got a little carried away)
Calcium Hardness: 230 ppm

So I was thinking since pH is a tad high and TA is high, I would add ~ 2 cups of muriatic acid (it's only a 2000 gal spa, maybe even a little less)

I think I just have to let the CYA go down with time from splash-out, etc... Is that correct?

And I think likewise the FC level should come down with sunlight, which is abundant in our area at present. I was just going to turn down the SWG to minimal until FC gets back in line (which I think might take a while with CYA so high)

Does that sound right? Am I way off on anything (or everything?)

Thx!

Okay so I did just notice this was for a spa, but everything is basically the same. A true CYA reading is still important, and being a spa, its easier to get REALLY high CYA levels.

meliman said:
FC: 15 ppm (way too high right?)

Time to read pool school to understand the FC/CYA relationship. With CYA at 100 your target is 12 so 15 not even considered high in the slightest. The problem is if your test came out at 100, it is probably higher. Anything at or ABOVE 100 will read as 100. You need to redo the test with the diluted method.
If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:

Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

meliman said:
So I was thinking since pH is a tad high and TA is high

PH tests with chlorine over 10 is not accurate. Your TA is high, but that MIGHT come down if you drain and refill, or it will come down over time as you control the PH rise with MA. Depends on your fill water.

meliman said:
I think I just have to let the CYA go down with time from splash-out, etc... Is that correct?
Since it is a spa, I would just suggest solving the problem right away and doing some drain and refills..(get an accurate CYA reading with the diluted test method and can re-evaluate just how high it is, and how much water would need to be replaced. (Had another member that got a 100CYA reading, ended up being like 270.)

meliman said:
I was just going to turn down the SWG to minimal until FC gets back in line (which I think might take a while with CYA so high)
Your FC level is perfect for CYA of 100, but like previously said, it is likely to be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.