solar cover questions

damaya

Jun 6, 2011
Split by moderator from HERE, Please start your own thread for your questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I searched and read a bunch and decided to post on this one.

So a darker cover will retain heat better if the cover will be on only over night?
mil thickness relates mostly to longevity and that's debatable?
Good reel is worth the money? this is 1 person operation.

This will be used in with a solar heater and only to extend the season as long as possible. The pool (and panels) get full sun 6-8 hours a day.

Re: solar cover and reel, vs heating the pool with heater

damaya said:
I searched and read a bunch and decided to post on this one.

So a darker cover will retain heat better if the cover will be on only over night?
mil thickness relates mostly to longevity and that's debatable?
Good reel is worth the money? this is 1 person operation.

This will be used in with a solar heater and only to extend the season as long as possible. The pool (and panels) get full sun 6-8 hours a day.
I use a clear cover now, and I've used a darker blue cover in the past. Can't say that I noticed much difference. Heavier mil thickness do seem to last a little longer but they get heavy. Consider a pool solar cover to be a disposable item over the long term.

Buy a good reel. It is well worth the money. For a pool your size a more expensive reel is definitely worth the money.

The primary loss of heat in a pool is evaporation. That is a function of surface area, wind velocity, relative humidity and the temperature differential between the air and water. My $.02 is to use a clear cover and keep it on unless I was swimming. I pull it off if the water is too warm and to let it breath when I brush the walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.