Anyone in the mid-Atlantic region have a heat pump?

TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'm looking for some folks with heat pumps in my general area (Philly, PA) and I'm trying to get a feel for how much their spending in electric. I know many probably don't pay attention to this, but wanted to ask.

We installed the pool this summer and said we wouldn't do a heat pump until we have one year under our belt. Well, this summer was so abnormal, we'll probably wait to see how the pool is NEXT summer without the HP. But we did wire for it, so it should be as simple as some plumbing and final electrical connections.

But I am curious about costs to run it. We have a small pool (About 8500 gallons) and we also have an auto cover which stays closed. So I'm hoping those help keep costs down.

I live in erie during june july aug keeping water at 87 i pay about 80 xtra a month including filtration pump.during may and sept it is about 150 xtra a month including extra runtime for the filter because in cold weather(just had a cold snap where nights were 38 and daytime highs were low 50s,6hr runtime for filter wasnt long enough to keep pool at 88) heat pump needs to run more.16x32 about 20000 gallons.i always keep a solar cover on it when not swimming.

In Michigan near Ann Arbor from 1990 to 2000, we used a heater in the beginning of the season, but by June the solar cover was sufficient, through when we quit using the pool in mid September. I can't speak to the gas vs. heat pump question, but IMHO the heater is only for extending the season, especially on the early end. This despite the fact that where we lived was unusually cloudy; I remember frequently talking to friends and relatives that lived only 50 miles away and it would be sunny there but not where we were.

In August we'd leave the solar cover off to keep it from going over 90. That was a 20 kgal, 3 to 8 foot deep pool.

TroublefreePat, I can tell you that we have well over 10,000 AquaCal heat pumps installed throughout the Northeast, and they operate just fine during the normal pool season. If you're sized correctly, you shouldn't need to extend your normal pump run time. You should realize that there are some conditions in which a heat pump may struggle to heat though, but as I mentioned, your normal swim season will not be a problem for a heat pump.
You can use this cost estimator, http://aquacal.com/heat-pump-operating- ... mator/?btn , to calculate your anticipated electrical cost. let me know if I can help with this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.