What is your favorite chemicals to clean the pool?

doud5

Sep 13, 2013
Today there are several option out of chlorine like Bromine or Biguanide. I even heard that some people used hydrogen peroxyde.

what do you use?

For which reasons do you use this particular chemical?

Thank you.

Welcome to tfp, doud5 :wave:

In the US, there are only 3 approved sanitizers for pools: Chlorine, Bromine, and Biguanide. Hydrogen peroxide is not approved.

Biguanide: You will find many posts here about algae, cloudy water, and the expense related to Biguanide. Most discussions on it, end up with the poster changing to chlorine. I sure wouldn't use it.

Bromine: Can work but is more expensive and you will have to use more than chlorine due to the lack of sun protection. Also, imo the smell of bromine is not desirable.

Chlorine: Is the easiest and cheapest method. Following the methods taught here on tfp will eliminate the issues people sometimes associate with chlorine (burning eyes, and "chlorine" smell).

When we say CHLORINE... we mean LIQUID CHLORINE for the vast majority of the users here, IMHO. Solid forms of chlorine (powder, granule, pucks) have other chemicals to bind the chlorine and the side effects of that binder can be adverse.

doud5 said:
Today there are several option out of chlorine like Bromine or Biguanide.
what do you use?
For which reasons do you use this particular chemical?
Thank you.
I use sodium hypochlorite. You can find it under the trade name as household bleach. I use it because all it adds other than chlorine is a little salt. I do not use anything with the word shock or magic or anything like that. I can't tell you the last time I had to raise my chlorine to fix a problem "i.e. shock my pool". Hope that helps. :goodjob:

Welcome Doud5. I use chlorine like most people except I make it at home using a salt water chlorine generator. It sure beats lugging chemicals and driving to the store. I did a ton of research and all methods other than liquid chlorine or SWCG try to explain why they are better. Trust me, they are not better. Sooner or later you will be using chlorine. Just search this forum for bigaunide and bromine and see what I mean. Good luck.

Welcome!

Chlorine for me. I usually use household bleach. If I need to add CYA, I'll use a bag of the "shock" that I have from before I became enlightened. I don't shock with it, though; I just use enough to get the chlorine level up while raising CYA at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.