Closing Pool

May 31, 2012
Hi,

I'm thinking I will be closing our above ground pool for the first time. Last year was the first year we were taking care of the pool and had a pool company come out and close it. Anyway, I was going through the pool school instructions for closing the above ground pool, and just wanted to make sure I understood everything.

First question is related to the below steps. Last year the company had me leave the pool at normal water height. And then I bought a skimmer gizmo and plugged the return. Would that be correct for the below steps? After using the gizmo and plugging the return, do I need to do anything to be able to remove both of the hoses from the pool?

* Drain water to 6" below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed.

* Skimmer/return plugs or "gizmos" may be installed or they may be left open - this is a personal choice for each pool owner

Next question related to the below step. I'm not sure if I have a multi-port/spider gasket. Would I not have one with a cartridge filter - do you need more information? Next, I'm just thinking, I don't really have any other smaller fittings, hardware or filter drain plugs. I think I just have the pump basket and the skimmer basket. Am I missing something?

* Remove muti-port/spider gasket. Smaller fittings, hardware and filter drain plugs can be stored inside pump pot basket - lube pump pot basket with silicone lube. Remaining pump hardware can be placed inside gallon zip-lock bag and taped to side of pump.

To sum up, the only thing I'm really doing for closing the pool is cleaning/going through the shock process - no problem. Putting the skimmer gizmo and return plug on. Removing the hoses, draining the filter - bringing that inside. And putting the winter cover on.

Really appreciate the help!

Did your pool hard freeze (solid block)?

Here (mn) they do, so I definitely drain mine 6" below the skimmer, blow out all lines (I have buried hard plumbed lines), then I cap them. I leave my skimmer outlet open so that it can drain. I drain my pump and bring it inside.

You probably do not have a multiport, since you have a cart filter. I have one on my sand filter, in that case I drain my filter and leave the drain cap off and set my filter to the "winterize" position that just leaves the valve cracked open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.