Winter cover for first time pool closing

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Getting prepared to close down the pool after our first season. I do not have a winter cover yet and thought I would get some advice before ordering. How are these installed on a pool with a partial deck (photo attached)? If I order a cover for a 28' pool, how much larger is the cover? Any advice on what type of cover to get for this type of pool would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• pool72.jpg
    pool72.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 125
The cover should come oversized, and the dimensions should be listed. Depending how far you drain down, I would want a cover that is at least 5 ft larger in diameter than the pool.

Typically the cover is secured by a cable that runs through grommets on the cover and is placed below the outside of the top rails. If you can't fit the cover between your deck and the top rail, then it is probably easiest to use water bags on that side.

It looks like there is not enough space between the deck and the top rail for the cover to fit (only about 1/4" in some places). Do you simply overlap the cover onto the deck, then place water bags on top of it? And when you say "water bags", exactly what do you mean? Would bags of sand work or gallon jugs of water?

If you have 1/4" then I think you could "fish" the cover through there and then run the cable around from underneath. After the cable is cinched, just pull it the cover up and tight so that the cover slack is in the pool.

Water bags are tubes, kind of like sand tubes that can be filled up part way with water. Sand tubes can work, though are a little harder to handle. It would probably take a lot of water jugs to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.