Please review my Pool Closing Plan

May 27, 2011
Hello All;
Thanks for everyone's insight on the Pool Closings. This is our 3rd year since our Pool was installed and its time for me to take the initiative in Closing the Pool myself. I have read thru numerous posts over the past few hours and can see the validity of many different methods. However, I am concerned that I might be missing something. Can someone review my plan below?

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl Liner Pool
2 Skimmers
2 Returns
SWG
Cartridge Filter
AquaCal Heat Pump
Loop Loc Safety Cover
live in New England

*wait until outside in the 60's, Run SWG on Boost Mode 24hrs prior to Closing. Check PH. Day of Closing add Algaecide (Polyquat?) and run for 45 minutes

*remove ladders, grease fittings

*vacuum Pool

*On the Return Line from the Heat Pump to Pool, there is only 1 pipe going into the ground and splits underground for the 2 Returns. My thoughts are to drain the pool to a level just below Returns, blow them out from the Pool Side, and add 1 gallon of RV Anti Freeze to each Return line from the Pool Side, then securely cap them. Does this sound feasible?

*blow out skimmer lines, add 1 gallon of Anti Freeze to each Skimmer then Rubber Plug. In addition, I plan to fill each Anti Freeze Bottle up 1/2 with Sand and leave in Skimmer for expansion protection and splash anti freeze in bottom of skimmer

*drain/remove pump (store inside)

*drain cartridge filter, remove gauge, rinse off cartridges, store cartridges in filter (PB did that last 2 years, is that OK), loosen unions

*drain heater, loosen unions, blow out lines. Remove drain plug, coat thread with compound to prevent rust

*disconnect SWG, clean in in Muriatic Acid. I have never cleaned it before, PB last 2 years just gave me whole assembly to store inside with Cell still installed, should I be concerned about introducing a problem if I remove just the Cell? Do I even need to clean it?

*Install Safety Cover (is it even possible by myself?)

*our water table is low. However, I am concerned about the water level freezing near Returns and causing damage. I plan to raise water level to 1 inch above returns. Does this sound appropriate?

As I am a one man show around the house, I am trying to think of any other way to ensure each Return is adequately protected with Anti Freeze. The Safety Cover does allow water to pass thru (water level is always high in Spring), hence I may just monitor water level until a freezing conditions.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Thank you

Don't run the SWG in boost mode. Just add enough bleach to raise the FC up to SLAM level.

No issues just removing the cell ... just look in it and see if there is scale build-up, if there is, then clean it.

I have no experience with closing to offer any insight beyond this.

wtrav8r said:
*wait until outside in the 60's, Run SWG on Boost Mode 24hrs prior to Closing. Check PH. Day of Closing add Algaecide (Polyquat?) and run for 45 minutes
We generally recommend waiting until the water temp stays consistently below 60F, not the ambient temp.

I too have very little closing experience other than my simple agp...hopefully others will chime in.

Whether you're installing a safety cover for the first time or just putting it on the pool for the winter (not sure which you intend to do) they are both DIY jobs. Initial install takes longer but you can do both. If it's just going on for the winter it's not hard at all. Just use the metal tool you hopefully have for it. Without the tool, it becomes more difficult.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I will wait until water temps in 60's and plan to raise level to SLAM level. The PB installed the Safety Cover and left the bar. Hopefully I will be able to figure it out without falling in :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.