Closing my pool

Ree

May 28, 2013
Though I didn't post much the wealth of information here has been so helpful this Summer and I will be forever grateful. I am closing my pool after a few 90* days here in Boston. I actually went into my pool today and it was still crystal clear. I loved the idea about keeping the stablizer in a sock attatched to the pool I have to say I think that is what really kept my pool chlorine at good levels all year.

My question for closing is... do I really need Winter pool shock??? Also I am trying to rig a tarp above my pool cover to deter the leaves that got so heavy and fell into my pool this year. I'm not doin that again... Any ideas??? My pool is an above ground 25x15 oval. I have a mesh cover... and I bought a tarp that is huge...

Ree ps thanks in advance :sleep: off to bed!

The most important thing is to delay closing/winterizing your pool until the water temperature drops below 60°F consistently - closer to 50°F would be even better. This will lessen the likelihood of algae.

If "Winter pool shock" is a special shock-labeled product, that is unnecessary. Right before you close the pool, just use plain unscented bleach and raise the FC level to shock (a.k.a., SLAM) level according to your CYA level (see Chlorine CYA Chart to determine the shock FC level). You can optionally add a polyquat 60 algaecide.

Here is a complete article on Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool.

As for the leaves, I do not have a better suggestion than the cover/tarp you tried previously. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better suggestion on that.

The leaf net cost more than my solid winter cover, but it's well worth it. Be sure to take it off before freezing temps.

I'm confused on how using a sock to dissolve stabilizer into the water changed your results so drastically. Unless you've been using LC without stabilizer, even so the sock would only be there for a day or two before all the granules dissolve.

As previously stated, don't close it until the water is 60 or below.

Speedo said:
I'm confused on how using a sock to dissolve stabilizer into the water changed your results so drastically. Unless you've been using LC without stabilizer, even so the sock would only be there for a day or two before all the granules dissolve.
Hi the sock actually allowed for the stablizer to disolve at its own pace rather than slurry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.