Algae but no cc's?

May 31, 2013
Virginia
Just wondering why I have an algae bloom but am not registering any cc's?

I got a bit lazy with the cooler temps and kids going back to school (nobody using the pool) and got a slight algae bloom - water is greenish and cloudy. Of course I am slamming and brushing to take care of it. Yesterday when I tested I got ph 7.6, fc 5, cc 0, cya 40. Side note- since I bumped my CYA from 30 to 40 my chlorine levels have been holding a lot steadier; I find I need to use less bleach.

Anyway, wouldn't I be registering some cc's?

Seeing algae does not = seeing CC.
That is why there are more than 1 criteria to know when to stop the SLAM process.

I take it you started the SLAM after that test result of only 5ppm?

Ah, I see.

Yes, yesterday was very warm (90s) and kids wanted to get in the pool after school. I went ahead and let them (like I said, fc was 5), then started the SLAM process when they were done. Yes, they took hot showers afterward :), and they weren't in very long.

Algea is not going to hurt them one bit and 5 ppm FC (at 40 ppm cya) would have killed any person to person transmittable diseases (bacteria, viruses). The larger problem when swimming during/before the SLAM process is the inability to see swimmers under the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.