Newbie looking for input on plumbing layout

Sep 12, 2013
I am jumping in to the deep end of this forum. :-D I have an 18x43x28 L shaped pool that I am waiting on the county to issue a permit for so I can start the install. Whilst waiting I have a question on return location and sizing. I have attached a basic drawing on the pool and proposed locations for the 3 return's that came with the kit, but I have no problem adding a 4th.

My pump is a 1.5 horse Hayward with 1.5" connections
The filter is a Hayward C1200 with 1.5" connections

The pump and filter are 22' from the edge of the pool and there are 2 skimmers that are going to be plumbed together as one suction line and 2 mains also plumb together as one suction line. So there are two suction lines with a three way valve right before the pump which at this point are going to be 2" lines.

The return line can be 2" or 1.5" which ever is best and split as needed to equalize the flow to each port.

I know I am missing something to help determine this, but it is a beginning.

Thanks

Karl

Attachments

• pool layout.jpg
    pool layout.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 84
Welcome to tfp, Ranchofla :wave:

I know this isn't your primary questions, but I thought I would mention:

Ranchofla said:
The filter is a Hayward C1200 with 1.5" connections
Way too small at 120 sq. ft. We would recommend a minimum 444 sq. ft. cartridge filter for your ~30000 gallon pool.

Ranchofla said:
My pump is a 1.5 horse Hayward with 1.5" connections
Probably too big, especially for the filter you selected above. Which model is it? We would highly recommend at least considering a 2-speed motor probably more in the 3/4 to 1 hp range unless you have some high volume water features.

Which way is the prevailing wind? Generally you want at least 1 skimmer downwind.

Thanks for the reply, the pump model info is at the house and I am at work so I will post that later. The filter sizes were not listed on the order form when I ordered, but I knew I wanted a cartridge instead of sand, based on prior experience.

Are you saying that the filter surface area is just not big enough since the filter spec says it will take 120 gpm and the pump will not put that much out based on the book that came with it.

I had not thought about the wind, but since it is only 20' from a 2 story house it would probably not be coming towards where they show the skimmers going. Of course since nothing is installed yet I can move those.

Thanks

Ranchofla said:
Are you saying that the filter surface area is just not big enough since the filter spec says it will take 120 gpm and the pump will not put that much out based on the book that came with it.
Ignore the 120 gpm, that is not relavant other than you do not want to exceed it (which would be hard to do). Basically you want low flow rates and large filter surfaces. The larger the filter surface the longer you can go before needing to clean the filter (by the way, I am not with you on wanting a cart over a sand filter, but that is a different discussion and matter of opinion...both will work as will DE to keep crystal clear water). The lower the pump flow rate, the cheaper it is to run and typically you get better filtering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.