Would this indicate the need to shock?

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
If I don't run the polaris for 3 or 4 days my pool becomes as clear as clean glass. If I run the polaris for two days in a row the pool develops and slightly turbid look - it's still clear, but not as clear as it was before running the cleaner. The color is good and the test results look good:

FC 4.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 40
CYA 35

There is a small area (maybe 2" wide X 3" tall) between the overflow and the underwater light fixture and has a black growth that looks like black mold. It is in a spot the polaris cannot reach. The material wipes off easy with my finger tips and I don't see any discoloration anywhere else.

I have 1 micron filter bags attached to each pool return and they normally do a wonderful job of keeping the pool absolutely crystal clear. However, I have been running the polaris for five days eight hours per day and the pool is still slightly turbid. I assume the turbidity is caused by the polaris stirring up small particles that have settled to the bottom and sides of the pool and the bags should have cleaned them up by now unless something is growing in the water.

We had 25 first and second graders swim in the pool three weeks ago and the mothers slathered up all the kids with sun tan lotion. By the time they left the water was very turbid (could not see the main drain) and there was a visible scum on the surface. I thought I cleared all that mess up, but maybe it could still be causing problems?

What do you think. Should I shock the pool or just wait longer to see if it clears up on it's own? I would appreciate any suggestions.

stev32k said:
...There is a small area (maybe 2" wide X 3" tall) between the overflow and the underwater light fixture and has a black growth that looks like black mold. It is in a spot the polaris cannot reach. The material wipes off easy with my finger tips and I don't see any discoloration anywhere else.

... I assume the turbidity is caused by the polaris stirring up small particles that have settled to the bottom and sides of the pool and the bags should have cleaned them up by now unless something is growing in the water...

The 2 statements above are the ones that I'd be concerned about. when you wipe the black material, does it have a greenish tint? If so, it is likely black algae. Make sure you keep brushing/wiping it while you slam.

Also, since it is near the underwater light fixture, I'd turn the breaker off and check behind that light just in case there's algae lurking there, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.