Gel Coat issues- Help me PLEASe((((((

hagan

Sep 12, 2013
We have had this pool now for two years: they claimed they coated this before they sent it. since, when it is filled it chalks over the bottom. We have sanded and re gel 4 times.....it comes back. Last attempt this week. Acetone the wax coating from the bottom....some spots were removed..it appeared come off. fill with water and back again. Now, my question what can i do so i can get a even bottom, spots of blue underneath the wax..and other blue lines ..u can stratch it with a hard brush and see yoru blue. They claim new color. My thought is the siren is coming back through the mold...if i sand again and geal coat with another color, it will be back...what are my options. i have considered tile.. the pool folks have left me behind. HELP :cry: :cry: 21g fiber pool, Hayward pump, salt system with filter. all the balancing works great....Just the bottom looks crazy....need someone to call.

I don't normaly harp about spelling, gramar and punctuation in posts. Heck, I am not that great about it myself sometimes. But, this post is very difficult to follow. Although I have never dealt with a fiberglass pool I do know a little bit about the fiberglass process.

Are you realy "gel coating" the pool by yourself? Or are you just repainting it? Gel coat is a two part resin that is first applied to the mold before the fiberglass mat and chop is applied. It is usually the same resin that is applied with the mat and chop.

You mentioned something about acetone and wax coating...Are you waxing the surface prior to filling?

My thought is the siren is coming back through the mold Not sure what you mean by this. The mold is the master that the pool is formed in and stays at the factory.

Tile will not work on a fiberglass substrate. The first little flex or temp change and the tiles will be popping off like crazy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.