LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background info: About a week ago, due to my carelessness, the water level went below the skimmer level and the pump went dry. We decided to keep the pool open for the hot weather this week and circulate it with a sump pump instead of refill with 100's of gallons for a few days and then dump the water to winterized levels. Since the water level is so low, we cannot use the pump for circulation and cannot vacuum using the pump. :hammer:
We are thinking of hooking the vacuum line up to the pump and vacuuming to waste and at the same time lowering the water level for winterizing.
First we need to circulate the water with closing chemicals and thought we could put a pool hose line at the bottom of the deep end, prime the pump and let it circulate like that for awhile till the water temps drop below 60 and then winterize the pool. We will be putting the winter cover on to keep out the debris while circulating until the temps drop. :stirpot:
Any thoughts? Have we forgotten/not taken into account something important?
Thanks everyone.
:lovetfp:

You should be able to use the vacuum hose to circulate the water. Keep a check on the pH if the return is above the water as the aeration might cause it to rise.

By the way, what "Closing Chemicals" do you use? Bleach is all I ever use.

Thanks Dave.
I will close with bleach and Polyquat. This year I was going to follow TFP guidelines for closing and not the pool store's (they have you balance the TC at 1-3, then add algaecide.) but with this issue it won't be as easy. BTW we always opened to an algae filled pool in the spring and didn't understand why. I think it's because the pool store instructions DO NOT have you shock the pool first. CYA is 50. FC was 9, CC 0 this morning but the water is looking a little "dull" since none of it is being filtered. Also our pH, tested this morning is 7.2 and the return is still below the water. I was going to raise it up to 7.6 with stuff I have. Maybe I should just direct the return so it breaks the water and then I won't have to "add" anything to get the pH up.

Get that vacuum hose working and raise the FC to SLAM level and let it circulate for a day. Since it hasn't been circulating for a while, I'd run an OCLT tonight just to make sure there's nothing growing in there, and then cover it as you suggested.

Bleach is good and understand your apprehension about the algae, so the polyquat is some insurance, and that's fine.

I'd just aim the eyeball up and let it run. Don't worry about adjusting the pH right now.

Thanks Dave. It all worked great, no algae even with not circulating well. Passed OCLT and have finally covered the pool. Sorry to see the swimming season over in Michigan.
Can't wait till next year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.