Liquid "solar blanket" to reduce FC loss?

May 25, 2007
The how much bleach do you use thread got me thinking. Richard reported that with a CYA of 30-40 he's using an average of 1ppm FC daily, with a solar cover. I've seen many reports of 2ppm being a common loss, which is what I experience.

I was wondering if a product like-

http://www.smartpool.com/website/recwat ... arpill.htm

Would provide any FC protection above and beyond the CYA level? I have no idea what these chemicals are, or how they might impact water chemistry, nor how much they cost. Chances are for what they cost you might as well just add more bleach, but thought I'd throw this out for discussion.

Thoughts?

I would say not. A regular solar cover will block some, if not all UV from sunlight. I doubt that the liquid solar covers block much UV at all. It appears that most are a food grade wax dissolved in alcohol.

As a follow-up, I am running a CYA level of around 70 ppm (I have a SWCG), and at a FC level of 4 ppm am losing less than 1 ppm per day. The pool receives full sun from midday on. However I am using a liquid solar cover.

Rangeball said:
The how much bleach do you use thread got me thinking. Richard reported that with a CYA of 30-40 he's using an average of 1ppm FC daily, with a solar cover. I've seen many reports of 2ppm being a common loss, which is what I experience.
Don't forget that my solar cover is OPAQUE. It's an electric safety cover, not a clear bubble cover. The bubble covers may let more UV light through than the opaque cover, though I do not know by how much. Also, the 1 ppm FC average per day in my 16,000 gallon pool is only when the pool is used about 5 days/week with the cover open around 1-2 hours some days and 3-4 hours on the weekend and the pool is partially shaded depending on the time of day. If the pool is not used, then the usage is more like 0.5 - 0.7 ppm per day. The FC level in the pool varies from 2.5 to 5.5 (at 30 ppm CYA) since I only add chlorine twice a week. The pool water temp is kept around 88F though it drops some at night and heats up during the day.

Richard

Just to add my two cents.

I would advise against using the liquid solar covers. As mentioned above they are parafin disolved in alcohol.

My experience was having little white globs of the parafin floating around in the pool. The pool store tried to convince me it was "White Mold" and I was going to have to acid wash everything and replace the water to get rid of it. I took a sample of the "globs" to an analytical laboratory for a "real" analysis ---- Parafin.

NO MORE FISH IN MY POOL!!!!! By the way ---- this was before I went BBB (thanks to this site and its predecessor).

I'm using slightly more than 1 gal 6% per day with a CYA of 29 (by Hach Colorimeter)

Chem Geek - which cover brand do you have? Is yours one that is a safety cover as well, does it have an automatic on/off? I looked at a few last season and couldn't find one that would work for our pool due to shape and dimensions, but am still looking for one if I can find it as we have two children under 3.

Thanks!

pooltime said:
Chem Geek - which cover brand do you have? Is yours one that is a safety cover as well, does it have an automatic on/off? I looked at a few last season and couldn't find one that would work for our pool due to shape and dimensions, but am still looking for one if I can find it as we have two children under 3.

Thanks!
Mine is a safety cover. Though it's not recommended to walk on it, it will fully support the weight of several people -- that's its purpose. It has an electric motor, but you have to hold the key to open or close it though it does have some safety switches that turn it off upon closing in case you hold the key too long (but it's a better idea to let go of the key and not try and open or close it too far). It's from Pool Covers, Inc.. My only complaint is that it tends to form leaks after a year or two. I had the first one replaced just before the 3-year mark so I only had to pay for labor -- I don't know what I'll do with this replacement but will call them to get it patched if they can. It basically works, but I'd prefer not to have any water seeping through it.

My model has the rails under the coping and the cover is hidden at the end, but my pool is a fairly standard rectangular 16' x 32'.

We don't have kids, but got the cover to save on chemicals and maintenance. It is great at keeping out sunlight so chlorine usage is really low so I only add chlorine twice a week. It also keeps out leaves, cedar needles, etc. from the pool so the pool stays cleaner and I don't have to clean the cartridge filter except once a year (though it's oversized, which also helps). Finally, it cuts down on evaporation which saves on the water bill and on having the pool build up anything that is in the tap water (e.g. TA, CH).

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.