multiport valve - can't turn handle - pentair sm-20-2

bbunix

Sep 2, 2013
So, new house, pool is a disaster - the previous owners repainted and it appears a lot of Crud ended up at the bottom of the pool - old paint chips, etc.

Got the big debris out, filter working well, water clear and chemistry OK.

Time to vacuum! Except I'm missing the vacuum plate to attach to the top of the skimmer. Went to the pool store, 8 3/4 vac plate out of stock. "Take the filter basket out and stick the hose down the drain, you'll be fine!".

Not.

15 minutes later I go check. I can't move the multiport filter handle. At all. Unscrewed it. Can't lift it off. Now I'm stuck.
NX1000

I can, however rotate the part under the handle like so:
NX1000

This is a new multiport - the last one was old, stuck, then the handle broke off...

Any suggestions? :hammer:

Here's some of what I got from the filter basket near the pump (don't know what the salt-like stuff with blue granules is - looks like that fancy kitty litter)
z_ov4d_as32NdSscOXa9Tx_YXiMDiG4MDpdkv_GsIQ=w373-h248-p-no

Lesson: When the pool's that filthy - vacuum to waste, not through the filter. Ugh.

And here's a picture of the setup...
pyd4dVpG9I1fn4HEpPAsPh37tAYak6pAIx-CEHNc0A=w363-h242-p-no

Thanks!

crudsrus said:
Screw, M6 x 30mm, Stainless Steel -Valve requires 10 of these screws. Found this information on pent air website.
Hope this helps.
It does not help. Seems like you did not read the thread. He took the screws out to try to open the valve.

I grabbed a screwdriver and tried gently prying the top from the bottom. No luck.

So I tried really hard (as in, this is gonna break, hard), and it popped with an almighty grinding sound and about 1/2 lb of that silica cat litter stuff (from the picture) came off the top.

Cleaned it up, reassembled it, and it seems to be working, i.e I can turn it and it backwashes, etc.

So the answer is "Vacuum to waste when the bottom of your pool is full of silica kitty litter, otherwise force open the jammed multiport with a screwdriver".

Wow.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My guess is there's so much of that grit that has made it past the basket that it's jamming up the top molded housing of the valve. It looks like you were able to rotate the top after you took out the screws. Does it feel gritty to move it that far? If so, I think you're just going to have to work the top assembly upwards with plenty of rocking motion and hopefully any scoring produced by that, won't diminish it's water tightness later.

Edit: Guess I was 3 minutes late with a possible solution. Glad it worked!

If I remember correctly we've seen pictures of stuff like that before. I can't remember what it was now, but it certainly could have been from a mineral system. If I have time later I'll try to find it and see if it's relevent.

20-20 hindsight, but after loosening the top of the multiport, I would've turned on the pump and see if the water flow didn't dislodge the debris and break it all loose.

Do you have a pump strainer basket in your pump?

I did try using the pump to dislodge the Crud, numerous times - no joy.... here's the postcript for anyone else going through this - it's the pool equivalent of sugar in a gas tank...

If you have to get anything that looks like small white crystals about the size of large rock salt (like for driveways) with blue crystals in it... there was a ton of it at the bottom of a filthy pool, and of course, it doesn't look like anything when you first go try to vacuum it... until everything jams up. Once you see what you're up against, here's what I've done so far:

1. Vacuum to waste. Make sure to overfill the pool because it's going to take a lot of water and time.
2. Listen carefully while you vacuum. If you have a pump strainer, it's gonna clog - in about 5 minutes. You can tell because the flow will slow down or stop and the pump will whine.
3. Stop the pump, empty the strainer, repeat.
4. Eventually the multiport is going to jam. It'll be full of that crystal stuff - the handle won't be able to move. Take it apart, use force if needed, rinse it off, reassemble.

By the end of the process you'll probably need a new spider gasket - mine is seriously worn but still filtering OK.

Still vacuuming - there was a lot of this stuff in there - maybe 5 lbs or more...

Thanks Dave, great forum.

bbunix said:
So, new house, pool is a disaster - the previous owners repainted and it appears a lot of **** ended up at the bottom of the pool - old paint chips, etc.
It might be blasting media (sand etc.).

When vacuuming sand, use a skimmer basket with a skimmer sock or knee-hi stocking to catch the sand.

Note: Even putting the multiport on "Waste" will jam up the multiport. However, vacuuming to waste can be done if the water is diverted to waste before the multiport.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.