A skimmer that I've never seen before..how do I replace this

Matt Ush

In The Industry
May 18, 2012
I stupidly didn't take any pictures but I was hoping someone knew what it was. We are going to replace a skimmer as well as plumbing on a concrete pool that is about 60 years old. The skimmer is all metal, very large lid, about double the size of a standard lid. The inside has a protective metal cover, followed by a strainer basket that is very wide and shallow, more like a salad bowl instead of a skimmer basket. The hole at the bottom is so deep I cannot reach my hand far enough to touch it. The plumbing underneath appeared to be metal but hard to tell. Anyone see anything like this and if so, can you post a pic? I need to rip it out and replace it since the pool is leaking in this pipe.

Re: A skimmer that I've never seen before..how do I replace

Maybe I am over simplifying things, but it sounds like you are going to replace the skimmer and the pipe regardless. If so, this becomes more of a remodel type question and the only complicating factor is likely different size skimmers and how make those transitions. Overly simplified...so I am certain I missed something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.