Jul 31, 2013
NW Louisiana
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So, as a new pool owner, I knew nothing about pools until I purchased my house this year. The previous owner disclosed that he saw 2 small pinholes in the liner (above the waterline) and patched them with leftover original liner. These holes were in the corner and my pool inspector didn't see any issues with it (that's another story). 3 weeks later, the rips extended out past the patched portion and I used a larger patch. I have patched and repatched as it keeps pulling down and holes keep appearing thru the corners; even tried some transparent duct tape to keep the liner from pulling further down. The rip has separated just below the white lip so I have little to attach to. I'm not surprized when I see new holes\rips when I examine it daily.

The liner is in it's 7th to 8th season and I do not see how I can avoid replacing it, but I was hoping to get thru the season with it. I do have a larger pice of liner that I can use to patch. My problem right now is that the level of the original liner is right at where the water line needs to me to circulate the water with skimmer (no main drain). I find myself not enjoying the pool as much as I should due to the constant patch work.

I'm just looking for friendly advice as to what would you do if it were yours? I know I have to get a new liner, just hoping to do it in the spring (stretching the life of the new liner).

P.S. This happens as I finally got my pool chemistry manageable (kudos to this site again for that).

If your liner is under tension like that, it seems like maybe they've had the pool empty for some reason and the older liner isn't stretching back into place like a new one would.

I honestly think you need to replace it now. If the liner fails completely over the winter, you could be in for a more extensive repair in the spring, and pool crews will be much busier then.

I don't think the previous owner ever lowered the water, however I could be wrong. It seems that it's a case of dry rotting instead of tension as I can touch the liner to the side of the rips and it has slack (can easily press it to the wall). This is only happening in 1 corner at this time.

Would it help if I posted a picture or do you guys feel certain this is the best choice (even over the winter)? What kinds of problems could I face in the spring if tried to limp along with this?

I would also say get it changed now, it is the slow season for pool professionals, if you wait until spring to replace it you may find yourself waiting weeks / months for someone to do the job.

okay, I suppose I can start by getting quotes.

There is a "liner guy" who has come by and serviced the pool (placed the liner back in the coping); he has quoted me about $3,000. It a 18x36 with 1 set of steps, 4 returns to cut around, the light and the skimmer. It's 8' deep and 3.5 in the shallow end.

What all do I need to ask and I assume I should get different quotes? The only thing I know of is he said he would use new gaskets, he claims it's "turn key" but he doesn't do any chemicals (so I'll be on the hook for lots of Salt and other stuff). He's likely going to run up my water bill for about $250 to fill the pool. He works out of his home and could be cheaper than the franchises.

Also, I may try to clean my ladder (since I cannot remove it) before the new liner goes in.

Isaac-1 said:
That price sounds in the right ballpark, I would suggest spending the extra on a premium grade liner instead of a basic or economy one, as they do tend to last a LOT longer.

Ike
My pool is about this size and the price sounds right. We replaced the liner two years ago. Really look at a premium liner.

not sure what premium is? 27 mil? I currently have 27 mil "ferguson" style

What about the seams on the floor (I hear they have seamless now)?

I you don't mind, tell me what you chose as I would tend to follow the advice from members here over someone after my business. Does the price I stated come with water added and chemicals or is that typically on the pool owner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can I get clarification on the definition of premium liner and how I can know?

I have attached a picture of the first occurrence of this back in June of this year. It's about 5 feet long now.

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 61
SilverJK said:
Can I get clarification on the definition of premium liner and how I can know?

I have attached a picture of the first occurrence of this back in June of this year. It's about 5 feet long now.
I don't remember the mill thickness since it has been a couple of years. I do remember we picked a couple of patterns we liked and asked about the differences in cost. The higher cost liners were thicker so we went with the thicker liner. Sorry I can't give you an exact thickness.

The water and water balance was on us. The installer coordinated the install with us so we had water waiting once they were ready to fill. We had to have water hauled since our well water was not a good choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.