Air Bubbles Shooting Out of Returns

Nov 1, 2012
New Freedom, PA
I posted a few weeks back under the Algae section when I thought I was dealing with mustard algae. It became apparent after several days that I instead was battling some form of fine silt that kept making its way past my Triton II TR60 sand filter. I added some DE and the problem cleared up within a day. I find that once I backwash, if I don't re-add the DE, the problem returns.

I recently read on here recommendations to run the pump at a lower speed...evidently lower RPMs equals better sand filtering capability, which makes sense after reading it. I previoulsy ran my Intelliflo VS+SVRS at 2500 RPMs 12 hours/day based on my pool builder's recommendation. Yesterday I tried bumping the RPMs down to 1100, but within a few minutes noticed lots of tiny air bubbles coming out of the returns. I bumped it up to 1500, waited awhile, and thought all was good. This morning I checked and the air bubbles had returned. With the pool light on, you can see a sputtering effect. The wave of tiny air bubbles shooting of the returns seems to vary, especially on the return nearest the pump.

Is what I'm seeing a problem or is this normal when when running at lower pump speeds?

Thanks.

It is normal for an SWG to produce small bubbles at the returns.....that's likely what you are seeing.

Otherwise, can you see any bubbles passing through the pump strainer basket when the pump is running?

When operating a 2500 RPMs there's usually a bubble the size of a quarter at the top of the lid of the pump strainer. When operating at the lower RPM levels, I see 3-4 bubbles in the strainer lid. The pump isn't losing prime, but the return side pressure is definitely variable with tiny air bubbles I've never seen before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.