Owner Builder Pool Plans - Any Input Appreciated

ybz

Aug 18, 2013
Hi there,

Getting ready to dig this pool as and owner builder...

Pool in Southern California and is on a hill side as you can see on plan. I originally wanted to do a negative edge, but wanted to keep it simpler and felt that a 40' edge would be a bit much for a first pool...

The pool is 20'x40', I kept it rectangular cause I want an automatic pool cover (cover star). I initially wanted the put the spa inside the pool for the cover, but after some advice from this forum, decided that a raised spa, separate from the pool would look best and be more functional... But I wanted to be able to circulate the water and filtration with the cover on the pool, so this is the design I came with...

A raised spa with a negative edge 'spillover' to a narrow basin adjacent to the pool which will under the coping and pool cover tracks (4" pipes from basin to pool).

I could use some input on the over all design and functionality... Are the heights on the spa correct? Is the spa large enough? Too large? Ideas for pool steps, shelves, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... We are digging in a few days...

Thanks for taking the time.

Attachments

• pool design.jpg
    pool design.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 262
Couple of questions:

Your datum point 0'-0" top of pool. How does this compare to your existing drain to street behind the BBQ island?

If i am reading the plan correctly, your spa will be a total of 2'-3" deep, assuming waterline at datum point +1'-3" lower tub edge and datum point -1'-0" bottom of basin. Are you sure this is deep enough?

Thanks Charlie for the quick reply.

The 0'-0" height is the height of the gunnite, so after coping i assume will be 3-4" higher. The drain behind the spa is about 3" below that. How much lower should the the gunnite be than the existing deck which will remain there so that the new deck can match-up the pool coping? I thought 3-4", please let me know...

The Spa will be raised 18" from the deck and will have a negative edge which will be 3" lower which will spill into a 12" deep basin (7-8" opening the length of the spa - the basin will communicate with the pool under the coping with 4" pipes. The elevations on the plan are the top dimensions, not sure of the depth... My thought is 18" to the seat and 18" to the floor - so depth is 36"... is that the correct depth?

Thanks again for taking the time,

ybz

ybz,
Looks like great project!
I was also curious about the software. Are you doing all the work or subbing it out yourself? Have you talked to Pool Engineering in Anaheim?
Keep the updates coming, I am headed down the same path.
Thanks!

Your plan of making the pool and spa area a little higher than the drain is what I was wanting to know about, yes. Looks like a good thing.

Could you post the section on the line 2 (I assume is) referencing page A-3? that would make things a bit clearer.

A suggestion: Choose a datum point at or near the edge of that drain and call that your 0'-0" datum, and then adjust the finish height of all your flat surfaces in relation to that datum. It would go quite far in taking guesswork out of what you are referencing as your 0'-0" point. That drain, unless you are planning on ripping it up during demolition/reconstruction won't change. This is a lesson I learned too many years ago.....Pick a point that will not change for your "0 reference"

Thanks all for the reply,

The software is Autocad and it helps if your cousin is an architect... (but he's never done a pool, so i'm left to my own devices... with your help of course...). Engineering was done by pooleng.com which you reference above. The did a nice, quick job, for a fair price which were approved by the City...

Charlie, The sections don't reflect the spa changes i made... I used the 0'-0" point as the top of the gunnite, but i can see how that would be a problem once we start working...

What is the typical vertical distance from the top of the bonded beam of the pool (top of gunnite) to the to of the adjacent finished concrete deck? i assume it would be the thickness of the coping, but i wanted to make sure and also find out how thick would typical coping be? Looking to do poured in place concrete coping....

Any additional input would be great...

Thanks.

No problem on the section drawings, since you haven't updated them. It would be a good idea to do that, though. You may need that info during the build.

I would also assume that the thickness of the coping would be the difference of height, as well.

On the use of an unchanging reference datum point -- make sure it is measured accurately, and very well marked as such.

I personally have little experience with pool building, just a lot of experience in general construction, so I don't know what other help I could be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.