Poolife turbo shock - ok to use?

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
I've been sick and neglected my pool about a week now. I haven't tested but did put in a gal of bleach every other day or so. Somehow still clear and sparkly at the moment. :( I've run out of bleach and am not up to going to store. Then I remembered I have a box of 1 lb Poolife Turbo Shock bags that came with the pool. Problem is it says 78% calcium hypochlorite and 22% other. I searched online but couldn't find what "other" ingredients includes. Anyone know if this has copper or other nasties in it? If it's safe to use, then how do I figure out what it will raise FC? I looked at pool calculator but didn't know which powder to choose and none said 78%. Feel dumb but I've never used anything but bleach before. I just need something to tide me over a few days until I feel better. As always, thank you to the wise minds that keep this such a wonderful site! Last test results:

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 160
CH 220
CYA 30

Based on my general daily burn rate and the amount I think I've added I'm thinking I will hit FC 0 sometime during the day tomorrow. Knock knock knocking on algae's door. :stirpot:

You can get a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on Poolife Turbo ShockThere here: http://www.leisurepoolinc.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/PL22402.pdf. According to that document, it does not contain copper or other metals.

Using 16 oz of this product (78% cal-hypo) in your 22,000 gallon pool would raise FC by 4.2 and CH by 3 ppm. Since your calcium level is not considered high, you can get away with using this product on occasion but I would still use bleach whenever possible. Since you have an AGP, I'm assuming it has a vinyl liner. Vinyl liners do not need calcium like plaster and, to a lesser extent, fiberglass pools. Also, be sure to mix the cal-hypo in a bucket of water before adding it to the pool to minimize the risk of spotting on the liner due to undissolved granules. After adding the cal-hypo, the water will likely turn milky-cloudy for a while - entirely normal when using cal-hypo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.