FNS36 filter - just blew the top off... help

bbunix

Sep 2, 2013
New house, filthy pool, FNS36...

Replaced the grids but because the pool was so dirty pressure went up to 30 almost immediately so I backwashed, and kept going.

Overnight, pool level dropped, pressure on FNS36 dropped to 0. So I filled the pool back up and turned the filter back on.

The filter's middle has separated, even with the band on tight. Water's leaking out... turned off the filter and posting here.

I'm going to go take the top off and survey the damage.
:hammer: :hammer:

Actually a little worried about taking that metal band off seeing as how the top has separated a bit already it's probably under some extraordinary pressure - any suggestions?

Thanks!

It should loosen up the spring completely before the nut disengages.

These are the type of bands similar to my filter. I HIGHLY recommend that you you use a rubber mallet to tap around the band to help seat it and not just try to use torque on the nut. I can get mine very tighter with very little torque by gently tightening the nut, then tapping around the band, then tighten, then tap, etc ... I can get the spring fully compressed with very little force. And if tapping does not loosen the spring, then I know I am fully seated.

just took the top off.... nothing terrible happened... just wondering if I'll be able to put R2D2 back together again after that (or is it humpty dumpty)..

And thanks for the tapping tips - that makes a lot of sense.

:hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.