A little chemistry help

swilk

Jul 23, 2011
Southwest Indiana
New pool owner .... been up and running for about 2 weeks and I am still trying to get everything lined out and functioning precisely.

FC 6.5
CYA 75
PH 7.8-9
TA 220
salt 3300

Water is crystal clear but obviously the TA is out of whack and FC needs to be brought down a hair.

Just making sure before I do anything ..... looks like I need to add about 108oz of muriatic acid to bring the PH down to around 7.2 which should in turn lower the TA?

I also lowered the % of the SWG and will let it run a few days to see if further adjustment is needed.

Sounds like a good plan to lower the % output (or shorten the pump run time) to lower the FC a bit.

And then just keep an eye on the pH and keep it in the 7s, as you add MA that will slowly lower the TA which should slow the rate of pH rise. Or you can get more aggressive to Lower Total Alkalinity faster.

I run my pump for much longer than what I really need to ..... 12 hours a day ..... but the power consumption of it is ridiculously low. I have a lot of trees surrounding the pool and want the water moving to keep the surface as clean as possible.

I might try running the pump at 1500rpm for 6 hours and then lower it to 1000rpm for 6 more hours .... when running that slow the SWG is disabled.

Only a couple more weeks of swim weather around here so the bulk of experimentation might happen next spring.

Yes all muriatic acid is the same ... BUT, be sure to check the strength. Lowes around here have the 2 gallon boxes for sale in the pool area, but have switched to 14% stuff for the same price. Make you sure get the 31%, this is actually one thing that I usually buy at the pool store as they are competitive.

Curious as to how important the TA is?

I added some MA and it brought the PH down to 7.2 and the TA down to 190.

Here is what I currently have:

FC 7
CC 0
CH 250
TA 190
PH 7.2
CYA 75

I have been leaving the cover closed when not in use simply because the leaves are just beginning to fall ... I assume that is why the FC inched up just a bit. I adjust pump run time down to 8hrs.

Do I do anything further about the TA or just keep an eye on it and the PH over the coming days?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.