How good is a Zodiac Tri? Let's find out!

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I have decided on either the Hurlcon/Astral VX7T or the Zodiac Tri Mid (both 25g/hr Cl) for our SWG, the Zodiac is easier to find and slightly cheaper. Some love them, some hate them. Who has one and what do you think?
Also, should I go for the Tri Large (35g/hr) even thought the specs show the Mid to be more than enough? Is there any logic to the extra capacity? Does that mean it will generate enough Cl in less running time? Be able to catch up faster on days where the sun is strong and/or usage is high?
Thanks.

Re: How good is a Zodiac Tri?

Nothing? Oh well. I just ordered one so I guess I'll find out. I was going the Hurlcon VX7 way, but couldn't find one locally and where I got the Zodiac is the local dealer. I went the large option, too, on the theory that the larger unit produces more chlorine in less time, and will have more headroom if the need to bump the Cl up in a hurry arises.
The price difference was only about $50 over the mid, so it was a bit of a no-brainer.
It's hard to find reviews on these units, generally what I've found is positive but a few negatives on older models so I'll see how it goes and report back.

I've finally gotten around to installing and starting the SWG, added 125kg of salt yesterday. Straight away it tells me low salt, and according to Pool Math, they're right. I added another 50kg which brings it to a bit over 4000 as per spec.
So on again this afternoon and I'm not sure if I'm jumping the gun but it doesn't seem to be making much chlorine. The salt tests fine, and the cell is definitely operating, but from this morning when FC was 0, it was only 1 this afternoon, after about 4 hours running on 100%. Granted its been reasonably sunny today, but I expected far more, given this thing is meant for a pool twice the size, and it's running @ 100%. I've got it set to "boost" for the past hour or two and I'll check again but shouldn't this thing be pumping out the Cl? Water temp is about 25 degrees.

What is your CYA level ? You want it to be 70-80 ppm.

You also stated your FC was zero at one point. How long was it zero ? Could you have anything organic in the water consuming chlorine ? Could you post a full set of test results ?

If everything checks out ok you may need more run time. You could give it a boost with some liquid chlorine.

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator.
pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators

Thanks, Jeff. After I posted, I thought to myself if the thing is making chlorine, it's going somewhere, if the level was 0 to start (had dropped from 3 two days ago), then there's a chance there could be CC's present. I dosed some liquid Cl straight after the last post, and just tested it, Cl is now at 6.5, CC's at 0.5.
Full results as of now:
FC: 6.5
CC: 0.5
TA: 80
CH: 270
CYA: 60
pH: 7.5
Salt: 4100
Guess we'll see how it fares tomorrow.

I thought it would be a great idea to let the SWG start from 0, so I could gauge the output and then work out a run time. Forgot that 0 FC would mean algae! There was a bit of leaf litter as well, so that wouldn't help.
Anyway, I'll give it a chance again tomorrow and see what it can do.

thought it would be a great idea to let the SWG start from 0, so I could gauge the output and then work out a run time.
It's actually much better to bring your FC up with bleach by using PoolMath and then figuring out your SWG setting by maintaining a fixed FC value.

There is nothing in your numbers that would suggest algae. Can you see any? What does your water look like? Have you Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

duraleigh said:
There is nothing in your numbers that would suggest algae. Can you see any? What does your water look like? Have you Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

Water is clear, not crystal as it has been. The numbers look good now, FC had fallen to 0 from 3 in a few days, and I added liquid Chlorine tonight. The FC was at 0 for a while, plus had swimmers in between (without my prior knowledge!). The fact there are CC's showing makes me think there was something starting.
I hope so, otherwise this SWG is going to be useless!

*UPDATE* Just got back from a week away, filter running 6hrs a day and Zodiac Tri at 40%, FC was at 3.5 when I left, and was 2.5 on return, with the pool at 30degrees C. Everything else in balance except pH, which was over 8.2. I've upped the run time to 7 hrs, and output to 50% to see how it holds up in the heat (4th consecutive day over 35C, last 3 over 40, currently 43C (110F!)). So far so good, happy with how it's going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.