1st Year Pool Owner-Algae Problem

Sep 8, 2013
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and have spent hours over the last two days reading all of the pool school stuff and browsing posts. It's a bit hard to assimilate so much new info and usefully process it. So, I'd like to get some reassurance that I am doing the right thing.

I have ordered one of test kits recommended, and am waiting to get it in, so I realize I am at a great disadvantage and may not be able to accurately solve my problem until I have it in hand. But at the same time, I don't want the algae to get ahead of any progress I have made.

I got my pool this year (march) and the first few months...great. Was using LPS for advice/chemicals. About a month ago we started seeing a little bit of algae on the pool. I knew nothing about "shocking" the pool and at first the LPS guys just gave me algaecide/phos free to add. The algae kept getting worse (green patches mostly on the walls and curves). We were just happily brushing it off to see it again in 2 days.

9/7: Finally went to another LPS, learned about shocking the water and they gave me a huge slew of things to do. Shock with Powder Plus, Black Algae Killer, clean filter, Phos Free, Pool First Aid. I used probably 12 bags of powder plus in a 1.5 days because I would add 2-3 bags and a half hour later my reading would be a 0!

My pool is in full texas sun.

9/8: Continued to shock my pool a few times. After reading the site, I shocked it last night with the pool calculator's amount of bleach. Ran the pump on a low setting all night.

9/9: Chlorine was negligible this morning, so I got it sampled again at LPS.

LPS Readings: Before All the LPS Stuff to do/This morning's reading
FAC: 0 0
TAC: 0 0
CH: 200 350
CYA: 60 90 (seemed reasonable with all the powder packets I added?)
TA: 80 80
pH: 7.4 7.2
Phos: 200 100

I have been running my pump 24/7 and brushing my pool many times a day. The color/clarity of my water looks great. There never really was a ton of algae in the water (or so I thought).

Since my cya was so high, I stuck my hose in the pool today and ran it for about 6 hours letting my pool drain out some of the old water. Not sure how much old water got out, but when I use the strips it shows the stabilize in the 30-50 color range. I have a test kit that tests CYA, and I think it is around 60/70, but it's hard to know when to measure. Is it when you can't see the black dot at ALL?

I added a bit of soda Ash to get my PH and TA back up after running my hose and then I shocked the pool with 630 oz of bleach this evening. (from pool calculator with 70 CY to get to 30 FC).

In the morning I will test (the best that I can) to see if the FC has dropped below 10 again.

Whew, I think my brain just might explode from all this!

I really appreciate all the great advice I have learned already, thanks.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things and you're doing about the best you can until your kit comes in and you can get accurate readings on everything.

Power Powder Plus (assuming thats what you put in) is Cal-Hypo 65-70%. That would explain some of the increase in CH you noted, but as you replaced some of your water thats probably a bit lower now.

When doing the CYA test its recommended that you do it with the tube at waist level with your back to the sun (bright indirect light), and yes you should add solution until the dot is no longer visible. You can pour the solution back and forth several times to re-test until you're comfortable you've got a pretty accurate reading.

About the only thing I would suggest at this point is if you have any lights in a niche remove them and check behind them for hidden algae as well as anywhere else that some could be hiding such as under or behind ladders, etc. Continue to run your pump/filter 24/7, keep brushing, and clean the filter when pressure goes up by 20-25% above clean pressure. TIP: Several layers of a good quality duct-tape wound tightly around the head are a good preventative for premature brain explosions. Don't forget the ears!

I have a basic Taylor Kit, Polaris Kit that came with my pool, and I went to Walmart and bought the one they had there that can test for CY and CH. I should have my Taylor K-2006 kit soon.

At least the good news is the strips are still reading "10" dark purple from the shock I did the other night. I have my chlorine tab dispenser set to 0 and have not added any more bleach to the water.

Are the readings for the other tests inaccurate at such high chlorine levels? I think I need to adjust my PH, but I want to make sure I am getting an accurate read.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.