Chlorine pucks / tabs without stabilizer / CYA

May 13, 2008
What are the chlorine pucks/tabs called that do not contain stabilizer. If you have a brand example that would be helpful also. We are wanting to supplement with pucks/tabs, but do not want to raise our CYA. Thank you all in advance for your input. :goodjob:

I had read on poolforum.com one time about it, and I bookmarked that page...............poolforum is down so I don't remember

Seems like there were cal-hypo pucks? and tri-chlor pucks?

I just can't remember for sure. :cry:

it raises your Calcium levels.

Putting things in the skimmer causes problems if you don't run your filter 24/7.

Is there a reason you feel the need to supplement? Is this a vacation issue?

I add bleach every day, in the evening keeping my chlorine at the Target level, never dropping below "minimum". It takes me about 5-10 minutes of testing and adding bleach.

Bleach is cheaper than Cal-hypo and won't raise your calcium levels. Cal-Hypo can cause cloudy water if your TA is high.

sewzhmkr said:
yeah, softball tourney season is in full swing.......never know when your gonna be gone longer than expected.

I understand....I'm going away for 9 days soon. Shock before you leave, if you have a solar cover you can put that on and hold it in place with bleach jugs full of water.

If you have a neighbor or friend who owns a pool, could you ask them to come over (if you are gone more than 4 days) and pour in some bleach for you? Offer to repay the favor?

There are (or used to be) Cal-Hypo pucks, but could only be used in a special feeder since they dissolve too quickly. They leave a mess (probably binders) and fall apart near the end. You cannot use them in a Trichlor feeder -- not only because they will dissolve too quickly but you can never mix Trichlor and Cal-Hypo as that is flammable/explosive and the same feeder should not be used for both even at separate times.

I saw a post somewhere in the last ten days about Cal-hypo pucks. The poster had recently purchased them, I believe.

Regardless, as chem geek said, they are simply not very functional and have very limited distribution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cal hypo pucks are made by Arch Chemical under both the HTH and Poollife brands. Get the Poollife Active Cleaning casules. They don't dissolve as fast as the HTH Duration ones do. They are designed to be placed in your skimmer, NOT in a feeder or floater and CERTAINLY NOT in a feeder or floater than has held trichlor. Cal Hypo generates a lot of heat and give off a lot of chlorine gas and to use them in a feeder or floater can lead to an explosion.
They will not last as long as trichlor and, in actual use they are gone in about 3 days so they are not a viable alternative for using during an extended vacation.

PPG also has a cal hypo pool chlorination system but it is more than just the tabs. It is a set of chemicals, the tabs, and a special feeder. It will help avoid overstabilization but you also have to look at cost effectiveness. The system is called Sustain.

I just purchased some of the cal-hypo pucks at our local wal-mart. They sell the hth brand ones. It says right on the bucket "will not cause over stabilization". They do dissolve pretty fast though, faster than trichlor. They disolve in about 2-3 days.

Hi All,
I've been reading this post and have a question, if your pool chemistry is good, why would you want to shock the pool before you left for a while? What benefit would it have? I am new here and just trying to sort out things on chemistry for myself. Thanks

I once tried the HTH Cal-hypo caplets. All they did was dissolve to mush in 24 hours and clog my skimmer up--what a mess! It completely put me off HTH products because it didn't perform even vaguely like they claimed it would right on the container.

Poollife uses the plastic-wrapped caps--what the Duration tabs from HTH USED TO BE, but aren't. Also, Poollife uses the 62/68% Cal-Hypo while the HTH uses 48%--this is in response to WalMart having a warehouse fire from a worker mis-handling the stronger stuff so they insisted HTH only sell them the safer, but less effective and more problematic 48%.

Plankton said:
if your pool chemistry is good, why would you want to shock the pool before you left for a while? What benefit would it have?

The idea is to get the FC level high enough that it is still at a reasonable level after several days of sunlight loses. The approach can work well for over a week at higher CYA levels, but only for a few days at lower CYA levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.