Closing--Are chlorine tabs needed

Larry65

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2012
Kentucky
I have been using pool store to close my pool. Have read "Pool Closing" info on TFP& plan on closing in 2-3 wks. I plan on following TFP plan; however havebroken my wrist (cast-6 more wks.) Pool people have usually put chlorine tabs in when closing. Have ordered Polyquat and, if I follow TFP instructions, will I really need these tabs. which have CYA? I don't want to increase CYA unless absolutely necessary.

Tabs are not usually a part of the close procedures as outlined in Pool School ... just wait for the water to get cold enough before you close ... maybe even wait until you get the cast off.

Nope. The most important part of closing is to wait until late when the water is cold.

Last year I only used bleach, brought it up to shock level, and covered it up. No polyquat. Opened early this spring to a clear pool. Only dirt was sediment that fell through my old and weathered cover. Even had FC only slightly below the min for my CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.