where do u get your chemicals?

Since I maintain my pool with chlorine, muriatic acid and conditioner(CYA); I get the vast majority of my pool chemicals from either Walmart or Home Depot with some liquid chlorine from the pool store since it is stronger and easier to tote.

Welcome to TFP!

I too get mine at the above mentioned places. Dollar store bleach is hit and miss, so try buying it only where it moves quickly. Muriatic acid is often near the paint section in most hardware stores.

Stabilizer, (CYA) is usually in the pool section at Walmart and Hardware stores too.

Well it depends on the product ... but most are equivalent. Is it the pool store telling you buy their more expensive products?

In any case, if you read through Pool School you will quickly see how to save yourself time and frustration by testing and maintaining your pool yourself.

Stay away from the pool aisle at Walmart and pool stores- with some minor exceptions - but do head over to the baking aisle if you need baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or the laundry aisle for bleach (sodium hypochlorite) or borax (20 Mule Team) or soda ash - also known as washing soda (sodium carbonate). About the only thing you ever need to use that you must go to the pool aisle for is chlorine stabilizer (cyanuric acid, CYA). Almost everything else in the pool aisle is pseudo-magic potients that can cause more harm than good to your pool and to your wallet.

It is fine to shop anywhere as long as you know what is in the product you are putting in your pool. For example walmart cyanuric acid (cya...aka stabilizer/conditioner) is pretty popular on here due to its price. Bleach at walmart is sometimes well priced, etc.

linen said:
It is fine to shop anywhere as long as you know what is in the product you are putting in your pool. For example walmart cyanuric acid (cya...aka stabilizer/conditioner) is pretty popular on here due to its price. Plain Bleach (never get splashless or scented) at walmart is sometimes well priced, etc.
+1

It's all about understanding what the chemicals are for, and what effects they have when you add them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am of the opinion that several of the HTH products sold in my Wal_Mart are pretty good choices for many users. BUT.. the labeling on their product stinks. It rarely tells you exactly which form of chlorine is inside the package.

Many of the items are CalHypo based so they cause less issue than the dichlor/trichlor equivalents.
The 6-way test kits actually measures CYA (only easily retail-store obtained test kit with CYA test).
The HTH paperwork specifically suggests you keep your CYA in the 30-50 range.
The CYA sold is pure CYA, no filler
The Liquid Chlorine is fair price and my store can barely stock enough so it's always fresh.

Also watch out on the HTH dry chlorine products as many have contained copper in the past, this is the main warning against Wal-Mart pool chemicals.

Personally when I need to buy pool specific chemicals I try to buy them at Lowes, otherwise it is mostly bleach, my family owns a janitorial chemical supply business so I get it from there at near cost.

Just make sure to read the label, if there is no label then put it back. Seems HTH has mostly switched out the copper in their "super" products for zinc. Maybe too many complaints?

As long as you know what is in a product, and it is what you want, the stuff from Walmart is just fine. I use HTH 1-inch trichlor (pure trichlor, no metals) for my vacation floater, and HTH stabilizer. As far as I can tell their products are as good (or as bad) as anyplace else. It can be more difficult to find out what is in a product if you buy online, so buying from a store where you can read the bottle isn't a bad thing.

Arch Chemicals (Lonza) is huge. I just looked and this is what I found about the Arch "brands"

Arch Water Treatment Products Worldwide
We are a world leader in water sanitization through our Water Products business. From municipal drinking water and food processing industries to commercial and residential swimming pools, you’ll find our products keeping our water clean and safe.

Our well-known and popular brands – BAQUACIL®, BAQUASpa®, Being®, Brilliance®, HTH®, POOLIFE® , Pool Breeze®, and Pulsar® – are recognized around the globe.

http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/Corpor ... /water.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.