To Backwash or Not to Backwash

Jun 2, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Now that my pool is no longer green, I really don't have much trouble with the sand filter clogging up. Before the pressure would go up noticeably and the water flow would drop to almost nothing in the pool. And you could see what you were washing out during the backwash and rinse steps.

I read in more than one place that backwashing too much actually keeps the filter from doing its job as well. I had stopped backwashing a couple of days ago for that reason. The pressure hadn't moved at all and the water flow was the same as before. But the person at the pool place yesterday said to backwash every day regardless.

Any opinions on this ? I've got a blue pool now but a cloudy one and I'm trying to do the best thing to keep filtering this water while I maintain high FC levels.

Thanks,
Steve

But the person at the pool place yesterday said to backwash every day regardless.
One more reason to stay away from the advice at pool stores and focus on the advice given here. Info like that would probably never be posted here and, if it was, would be challenged in 30 seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.