Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to remove iron

1. Back To Top    #1

How to remove iron

I have an AG pool with a sand filter. My source water comes from our well. We do not drain our pool, but just top it off in the spring & when necessary. We have extremely high iron content in our well water. Our water can be crystal clear but then we add topoff water & it's instantly orange. Our solution in the past (and the only one that worked) was to add about 5 Ferratabs. In 2 days the water would be crystal clear again. Ferratabs have been the only product that has worked. The liquid metalfree products haven't worked. My dilemma now is that I cannot find Ferratabs anywhere. Our local dealer said they were discontinued. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find this product or what I can use as a replacement. Iron is the only problem we have with our pool. I know all about why our water turns orange & how the chlorine reacts w/ the iron. I just want to know how to fix it when it happens. Thanks so much for any info.
    10,000 gal AG
    Sand
    Solar heat panel
    Mideast Ohio

2. Back To Top    #2

Nobody has answered this yet, my only thought is to rig up a water softener to your pool, with a puddle pump. I remember someone had done this before, it may be a viable solution.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

3. Back To Top    #3
    A Google search on "ferritabs" turns up three or four places that still list it in their catalog. It isn't clear if any of them still have it in stock.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the info. I ordered 5 boxes from midwest pool supply in wisconsin.
    10,000 gal AG
    Sand
    Solar heat panel
    Mideast Ohio