I Added HTH Algae Guard And My Pool Water Is Ruined!

Sep 7, 2013
CT
I am brand new to this forum and I've had an Intex-type steel set round above ground 15'x48" just over 5,000 gallon pool since the beginning of July.

I knew nothing about taking care of a pool so I took advice and bought supplies from a local pool supply store (a chain), and I used my wonderful little pool every single day, thinking everything was going fine until about a week ago when I started to notice the pool water a tiny bit cloudy, and when I rubbed my foot over the part of the pool where the sides meet the floor, some cloudy stuff came up.

Also I have 2 washcloths tied to the bottom of my ladder to protect the vinyl floor, and they looked the tiniest bit green to me.

All summer long, I never did get a decent understanding of what all the numbers or components mean for testing; the store sold me strips and all the colors were always in the "normal" range! In fact, my chlorine level was always off the color chart strong, or at least at the strongest color. I did not shock on a regular basis, just kept a pool tab in the floater that the store sold me.

The only thing I could decipher when I noticed the slightly cloudy water was my pH was a bit low (below 7.2). The store manager had me add soda ash to boost the pH, then Algae Guard by HTH, then shock it with a DOUBLE dose of their powdered Chlor-Brite.

I did it all as directed, spreading it out over more than 12 hours. The pool got even cloudier, and the consistency of the water was, and is STILL, slimy! It's weird, like the water itself is made of oil, or as if someone put lotion in the pool. There is no oil on the surface, but if I skim the pool there are like soap bubbles on top of the water that don't go away. It's still cloudy and just gross!

I went back to the same store that got me into this mess and they sold me a water clarifier called Pool First Aid. I've put it in twice, and it's helped, but the water is still really awful. I don't have any kind of vacuum system except the one that attaches to a garden hose, and my filter is the crummy little cartridge one that came with the pool.

The other thing that really bothers me is that I used to constantly see little insects squirming on the surface after they'd accidentally landed in the pool; now as soon as a bug lands in the water it dies immediately-I've seen it several times! The HTH label says it's hazardous to living things! I'm so willing to do anything to take good care of my pool but I have no idea what I'm doing.

I feel like I've ruined my pool and I cry about it daily; I was so happy to have it and thought I was taking good care of it, but it's gone horribly wrong. What do I do? Drain it for the year?

I'm in CT and it will be getting cold soon, but it is still perfect swimming weather for a little while longer. I'm afraid to even drain it the way it is now for fear of leaving a toxic residue on the pool walls that will start me off wrong next year. Throw it out and get a new pool? I'm so discouraged.

Welcome to the forum, you have definitely come to the right place.

First, don't get too discouraged. We all showed up here because we felt lost and clueless. We can help you understand what's going on.

You will have to spend some time in pool school (upper right corner of every page), and you will have to get a good test kit. Once you can test your water accurately and reliably, we can help you take control of your pool.

Welcome to TFP!

Don't be discouraged. You have not harmed your pool in any way. We can help you fix things. We will need some test results to start with and then we can get you headed in the right direction.

I would suggest going ahead and getting yourself a high quality test kit. I suggest the TF-100 from tftestkits.net.

You have been successfully Pool Stored. Most of the people here went thru the same process of following the LPS recommendations for wallet emptying and deciding there must be another way. The methods here work well and work quickly. I don't know if I would fix a 5000 gallon pool or start over with fresh water. Did you mention where you are at? Bleach is the primary tool used here to clean your pool.

I just saw you are in CT. I m not sure I would spend of much time fixing it this year for what I assume is less than a month left of swimming. I think I would start over next spring with a new knowledge provided by the PoolSchool here.

The HTH algae guard is probably what has caused the slimy feel and the foaming. I find that type of algaecide to be particularly problematic. It smells, foams, and causes other water quality problems.

Algaecides, clarifiers and phosphate removers are not recommended.

The algaecide will break down over time. Just follow the pool school guidelines and you will do well.

Thank you all so much for answering my post! I've gone back and read what to do BEFORE posting - sorry!! - and I will get a good test kit and start over with everyone here. I don't want to drain my pool with the way the water is now, unless I can completely wash the inside floor and walls first. It is really disgusting and getting worse. I'm thinking I'd like to try to clear it up before the end of the season; if nothing else, to finish with some success instead of this awful thick goo that used to be my beautiful pool water! I will go to pool school. Now.

If your pool is slimy feeling, I would first guess it's algae. Can you get accurate test results?

I am going to make a few assumptions here: I know the first line of action if to get your ph fixed if it is high (high seems more common than low) and then get your chlorine up to a SLAM level for your CYA level. Accurate testing is critical to the success of your pool. With testing, you can then make accurate decisions about what your pool need... and it's not likely to be PhosFree.. it likely needs chlorine.

Marykrik said:
The other thing that really bothers me is that I used to constantly see little insects squirming on the surface after they'd accidentally landed in the pool; now as soon as a bug lands in the water it dies immediately-I've seen it several times! The HTH label says it's hazardous to living things!
Many insects can survive on the surface of the water due to the surface tension of the water. The water actually sticks to itself better than it sticks to the insects. This allows insects to walk on the water.

The HTH type of algaecide acts as a surfactant, which lowers the surface tension of the water. This means that when insects land on the water, they can no longer walk on the water, and they drown. This might explain your observations.

The lower surface tension of the water can also change how the water feels, which might explain the "slimy" feeling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.